Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do ACLU attorneys earn?  (Read 9722 times)

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: What do ACLU attorneys earn?
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2007, 02:16:17 AM »
What're you complaining about? You are only at negative one.

I'm totally liberal, yet mine has been sinking for awhile... maybe it is because I disagreed with Buds on another thread... or maybe it's cause of my sexy 'tar... or maybe it is just cause I try to be funny but seem like an a-hole... or maybe it is just karma, cause I ding people all the time?

Anyway, you don't have to be conservative to get a bad reputation score. Watch, after this post, I bet mine drops even more--for the record, it is neg five as I am writing this.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2007, 12:27:15 PM »
If I had to guess, I would say that to start they would pay less than enough to pay back your student loans if you went to a private school--and therein would lie the quandary, i.e., to afford to go to law school, you usually have to practice boring stuff like Property law when you get out.
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »
The ACLU is a good place to work if you're liberal and you have rich parents.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »
there are other options, such as:

1. go to a school with generous and dependable LRAP. (which schools are these? i don't know. there wasn't much information out there when i searched for it. but i think equal justice works is working on making this info more public. in general, it seems like harvard, columbia and other top schools have generous LRAP.)

2. go to a school with no LRAP or meager LRAP but don't accumulate too much debt by going to law school, through some combination of cheap tuition, scholarships, and cheap living.

i'm on option 2 - forewent higher-ranking law schools for a generous scholarship and a city with a low cost of living. both these options can help make the ACLU or other public interest law a realistic option straight out of law school.
case '09

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2007, 12:05:08 PM »
1) Conservatives have ALWAYS been on the wrong side of the issue.  Always.  Conservatives supported slavery.  Conservatives opposed female suffrage.  Conservatives opposed integration of races in public schools, restrooms, water fountains.  Conservatives believed Rosa Parks was stirring up garbage.  Conservatives were against the 1964 Civil Rights Legislation.  Conservatives won back the South, a region traditionally democratic since the Civil War, because the Democrats passed Civil Rights Legislation protecting minorities.  Conservatives will look just as backwards when same sex marriage becomes protected and prevelant.  They have, and continue, to resist progress and equality.

In politics, conservative by defnition means traditional or perserving the statuts quo and a resistance to progressive movements, so yea, they probably will continue to resist "progress." Your last sentance isn't that bold of a prediction.

Your analysis of the Civil rights in terms of conservative v. democrats is misleading. There were a significant amount of democrates who were conservative. In terms of the CRA, their were probly more democrat conservatives than republican conservatives based on the actual numbers from each party that voted against the bill.

In fact, before we praise democrats for work on the Civil Rights Act, it is worth noting that 80% of Republicans in the Senate and 82% in the House supported the CRA, while only 68% of the Democrats in the Senate and 63% in the House supported it.   

In fact, it was southern democrats who filibustered the Act, including democrat Senator, and former KKK leader and recruiter, Robert Byrd.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2007, 01:35:24 PM »
1) Conservatives have ALWAYS been on the wrong side of the issue.  Always.  Conservatives supported slavery.  Conservatives opposed female suffrage.  Conservatives opposed integration of races in public schools, restrooms, water fountains.  Conservatives believed Rosa Parks was stirring up garbage.  Conservatives were against the 1964 Civil Rights Legislation.  Conservatives won back the South, a region traditionally democratic since the Civil War, because the Democrats passed Civil Rights Legislation protecting minorities.  Conservatives will look just as backwards when same sex marriage becomes protected and prevelant.  They have, and continue, to resist progress and equality.

In politics, conservative by defnition means traditional or perserving the statuts quo and a resistance to progressive movements, so yea, they probably will continue to resist "progress." Your last sentance isn't that bold of a prediction.

Your analysis of the Civil rights in terms of conservative v. democrats is misleading. There were a significant amount of democrates who were conservative. In terms of the CRA, their were probly more democrat conservatives than republican conservatives based on the actual numbers from each party that voted against the bill.

In fact, before we praise democrats for work on the Civil Rights Act, it is worth noting that 80% of Republicans in the Senate and 82% in the House supported the CRA, while only 68% of the Democrats in the Senate and 63% in the House supported it.   

In fact, it was southern democrats who filibustered the Act, including democrat Senator, and former KKK leader and recruiter, Robert Byrd.

You're missing the point.  I'm stating that Conservatives, not Republicans have held back progress.  In the past, Republicans were the more liberal party.  Lincoln helped found the Republican party as an anti-slavery party.  The south from the Civil War until the 1970's was Democrat--which was a socially conservative party.  Nixon was the major force in transforming the South--which is historically socially conservative--into Republicans.  Nixon argued, that the Democrats, under Johnson, gave African Amercians all these rights, and therefore the South began to switch to Republicans.  The transformation was complete when Reagan began to pander to Evangelical Christians.

So, my original arument, that Conservatives have always been on the wrong side of every social issue in American History still holds.  You just took it upon yourself to assume that the Republicans have always been more conservative than Democrats, which is wrong.

CosmicDancer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2007, 02:21:28 PM »
Uhh.  Just because the name "Republican" is the same, does not mean they were the same party.  The "Republicans" of Lincoln's time are actually the Democratic Party of today.  Let's get the facts straight.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2007, 03:57:16 PM »

You're missing the point.  I'm stating that Conservatives, not Republicans have held back progress.  In the past, Republicans were the more liberal party.  Lincoln helped found the Republican party as an anti-slavery party.  The south from the Civil War until the 1970's was Democrat--which was a socially conservative party.  Nixon was the major force in transforming the South--which is historically socially conservative--into Republicans.  Nixon argued, that the Democrats, under Johnson, gave African Amercians all these rights, and therefore the South began to switch to Republicans.  The transformation was complete when Reagan began to pander to Evangelical Christians.

So, my original arument, that Conservatives have always been on the wrong side of every social issue in American History still holds.  You just took it upon yourself to assume that the Republicans have always been more conservative than Democrats, which is wrong.

I wasn't challanging your arguement or assuming anything. I was pointing out that your post was misleading because it framed the issue as conservatives v. democrats. This would imply that all democrats supported the CRA which is hardly true. The issue should have been framed as conservative democrats and republicans v. liberal democrats and republicans.

Your post was also misleading stating that "conservatives won back the south" because "democrats passed the CRA." This was clarified by your second post, that the conservatives just switch from the democrats to republicans, they didn't win back anything.

I just noticed I started two sentances with "in fact" which comes off as a cross examination and kind of douchey [sic?]. It should have been on sentance with one "in fact."

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2007, 04:50:54 PM »
Oh, my mistake.  I apologize.

tmrlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
Well, conservatives are those who "conserve" and tend to stick with what has been done.  "New" does not always mean "moral progress."  New, shiny, "progressive" movements have included Naziism, Marxism, various revolutions, etc.  Sometimes "new" does mean moral progress- ie, slavery, civil rights, etc.  So to pull all those instances out of a hat and use that as a basis for conservatives "always" being on the "wrong" side of the issue is disingenuous at best.  After all, it was "conservative" Christian Just-war thory which formed a philosophical/theological basis for opposing nuclear weapons, and it was relativist "new" moral frameworks that permitted Hiroshima etc based on risk-benefit calculations.