Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Outlines and Study Tools  (Read 3928 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
1L Outlines and Study Tools
« on: February 20, 2007, 12:50:47 AM »
Anyone know of a good study guide/outline to use in preparation for 1L classes?  I am in the midst of reading some general law school books (Planet Law School II), but would like to look over some outlines or cheat sheets for some of the 1L classes; to just get a general idea of some terms and theories.  Any thoughts or advice out there?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Outlines and Study Tools
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »
You mean besides the extensive recommendations in PLSII?

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 09:24:34 AM »
You folks who are destined to start studying before you get to law school are so destined to be gunners. You really can learn all you need to know in a semester.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
You mean besides the extensive recommendations in PLSII?

this is so true, if you need help finding recommendations after reading that book... might i suggest you try a different career path?
pudding is delightful

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:07:11 PM »
ok here's a more relevant addition:

What about older versions of the commercial outlines? (e.g. the 2-to-newest version of an Emmanuels Outline that sells for $3 on half.com) 

Are these generally just as useful or is it wise to get the updated edition?

GA-fan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »
Usually the prior edition is just fine. this is a very good point to make. Most of the law they teach you as 1Ls is pretty well-established and isn't changing year-to-year. Combined with your professor's lectures, you're generally fine.

be sure not to get your supps very old, though. You'd want to know if the Federal Tort Claims act had been amended, for example, and a supp from 1990 may not be good for this purpose.

One thought: look at the year your casebook was last published and you can buy supps from that year forward.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »
Usually the prior edition is just fine. this is a very good point to make. Most of the law they teach you as 1Ls is pretty well-established and isn't changing year-to-year. Combined with your professor's lectures, you're generally fine.

be sure not to get your supps very old, though. You'd want to know if the Federal Tort Claims act had been amended, for example, and a supp from 1990 may not be good for this purpose.

One thought: look at the year your casebook was last published and you can buy supps from that year forward.

ok, thanks

law_3000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:44:40 PM »
I like Interactive Contracts and Interactive Property - they've got both audio and video, along with some questions, an outline, etc. I think they have all the first year courses and that you can even download videos. Try www.interactivelegaltools.com.