Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attendance- How strict are your professors?  (Read 1095 times)

GA-fan

Re: Attendance- How strict are your professors?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
I was actually going to start a new topic, but I suppose I'll leech off of this one.  Does everybody on this board attend all of their classes, or do you skip a few during the year?  If you do, how many classes do you wind up skipping a semester? 
I also skip very few. I missed 1 class last semester. I've missed a few this semester, mostly for interviews, but if I'm alive, I'm in class. No guarantee I'm paying attention the whole time... ;)

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
I generally don't care whether students return to class after a break.  I do care, however, when students come to class late by walking through the front doors, or when students leave and then return through the front doors. 

Why is it that the students with the huge roller-suitcases always come in 2 minutes after class starts and sit in the middle of a row? Every class I get hit in the back of the head and you almost knock 5 laptops off. If you are going to carry your books in a samsonite suitable for a 3 month vacation, show up to class 10 minutes early and get a seat on the edge. And don't tell me you can't get to class on time either, you always have a full large coffee and sandwich with you when you walk in.

This person, in a different form, exists in every class I have had in law school and the 3 undergrads I attended... why is that? 

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 01:02:36 PM »
I generally don't care whether students return to class after a break.  I do care, however, when students come to class late by walking through the front doors, or when students leave and then return through the front doors. 

Why is it that the students with the huge roller-suitcases always come in 2 minutes after class starts and sit in the middle of a row? Every class I get hit in the back of the head and you almost knock 5 laptops off. If you are going to carry your books in a samsonite suitable for a 3 month vacation, show up to class 10 minutes early and get a seat on the edge. And don't tell me you can't get to class on time either, you always have a full large coffee and sandwich with you when you walk in.

This person, in a different form, exists in every class I have had in law school and the 3 undergrads I attended... why is that? 

Students at my school love roller-suitcases; personally I think they're unnecessary but to each his/her own.  I was eating in my school's cafeteria, when some girl walks in with a huge roller-suitcase.  She's not paying attention to where she's going and manages to knock over a table and two chairs with her enormous roller-suitcase.  The table, was unfortuntely mine, and all of my books and food fell on the ground.  Maybe that's why I don't like them...

UHLAW09

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »
I only missed 2 classes I think twice last semester. When I felt terrible and once to outline for that class(probably stupid, but I felt I got more from the supplement than the class). I dont like attendence policies though, I'd rather it'd just be up to the student.

JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »
I hate the roller bag people, especially at my school where there is a ton of parking near the classrooms. What can you put in there, especially when we only have two classes a day. I know I fit my laptop, two case books and two binders in my messenger bag, or I could leave it in my car or room and come back and get it. No first years have two classes back to back. Ah they're terrible.

As for missing classes, my school is extremely strict about it. If you miss more than 20% of your classes you're given the IW (involuntary withdrawn) grade, which is the equivalent of an F. So I miss very few, I have only missed 2 this semester when I had to go on a job interview. and 3 last semester when I had a funeral and confirmation to attend.

It's too expensive not to go to class, I used to miss a ton of classes in college, but this just seems different.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »
My teachers are about 50/50 -  half take attendance & generally report you to the Assoc. Dean if you miss more then 20%, the other half don't take attendance at all.

I find myself in a catch 22, I only let myself skip class if I did the reading, that way i'm not behind, but then I figure if I did the reading I should just go to class.   

In undergrad, I would usually skip the first week of classes, the add/drop period, since we didn't do anything but hand out and go over the syllabus. The summer before 1L I wondered if I could do the same thing in law school, then I recieved my book list and first assignments a month before school started.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 07:37:58 AM »
The worst part is watching them go through brick or tile areas, the roller bags go click click, click click, its so annoying!