Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Things you wish you would have known...  (Read 2290 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
Re: Things you wish you would have known...
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:32:24 PM »
Which Planet Law school book?  The first or the second edition?

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 07:19:27 AM »
Which Planet Law school book?  The first or the second edition?

Both are excellent door stops.

uart

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »
Ditto on that warranty. I would even suggest a "tough box" those laptops that can be dropped, spilled on etc.(Although I have no idea how much those costs). My laptop starting messing up right as the warranty expired. Make sure you have a good laptop, you'll want it.

Do not buy a Dell, unless your school offers free service for them, and even then try not to get one. I worked Tech Support at my UG where we distributed a lot of Dells to people -- they are not built to last.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 01:06:34 PM »
This is totally going to start a "what type of laptop is the best" war, but you haaaaaave to get an IBM laptop with a three year warranty (make sure it lasts until law school is OVER).  Then you have to get an external hard drive and back up at least once a semester.  I set up a gmail account that I don't use for regular emailing, but I email myself outlines while I work on them because you can NEVER trust the hardware. 
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

benny149

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 12:40:28 PM »
This is totally going to start a "what type of laptop is the best" war, but you haaaaaave to get an IBM laptop with a three year warranty (make sure it lasts until law school is OVER).  Then you have to get an external hard drive and back up at least once a semester.  I set up a gmail account that I don't use for regular emailing, but I email myself outlines while I work on them because you can NEVER trust the hardware. 

You should try Yahoo Briefcase, its essentially a virtual jump drive.

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 01:06:29 PM »
I read all of those law school prep books, and they were alright. The best by far was "Getting to Maybe" which explains how to write law school exams. I credit my first semester grades to having read that book.

UHLAW09

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 01:33:45 PM »
Honestly. I wish I hadnt ever read those books about success or whatever. I'd say the best thing to do is there is no magical book or method that's going to allow you to do well in law school. If you work hard and try to understand it I think you'll be fine. Just my opinion though, I'm sure some people swear by those books. I guess I should say that there is not ONE magic method, you'll have to just end up doing what works for you.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
I wish I would have known windows backgammon was so damned addicting before comming to law school.  Although it made for a great way to get through property.
pudding is delightful

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 03:55:27 AM »
Hey, read All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten.

Cheesy stuff that is not law-centric? Sure. But I think it'd be great if law students came in remembering to "share and play well with others."

If you are going to read the pre-law prep books, read the section on how to not be hated by your fellow students -- don't argue with a professor just to prove you are right, do not hijack discussions in class, etc.

Together, we can create a kinder, gentler law school.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »

If you are going to read the pre-law prep books, read the section on how to not be hated by your fellow students -- don't argue with a professor just to prove you are right, do not hijack discussions in class, etc.

this is so true
pudding is delightful