Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall Law School - Atlanta  (Read 32050 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
John Marshall Law School - Atlanta
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:23:07 PM »
New ABA School

MelissaM

• View Profile
Re: John Marshall Law School - Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:47:15 AM »
I just came back from the accepted students open house and was really impressed with the school. The faculty all have practical experience in the law. They also have a new externship program in Micronesia, and there is no curve grading which fosters the schools supportive "family" type environment. My parents live in the Atlanta area so I'm saving on living costs initially, but the tuition is rather high $26,430 (f/t). I am favoring this school and will probably accept admission for Fall 2007, pending campus visits of a few others. I think really big things are to come for this school.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
Any idea who to talk to in order to get a board created for this school?
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:20:23 PM »
Over 26k for John Marshall?!?!

Think twice about it.  Do what ever you can to get in to Georgia State instead.  It is about 1/5 the price and the career options are much much better.  In fact, my boss this summer said GA State offers the best legal education in Georgia.  US News would disagree, but I've only heard good things about the school.

I don't go to GSU, by the way, so I'm not trying to plug my own school.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:52:53 AM »
In fact, my boss this summer said GA State offers the best legal education in Georgia.

This made me LOL.  ::) If you're looking for the best legal education in GA, you'll be heading to Emory or UGA.  UGA is probably the best value for your money, Emory may edge out as best overall but with a huge price tag.  Nothing against GA State, but its far from the best legal education in Georgia - and that comment has NOTHING to do w/ the rankings and has everything to do with the different programs, offerings, job opportunities, reputation, alum base, etc.

I do agree that you're much better off at GA State than John Marshall though.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »
I think Emory is probably the best legal education in Georgia, but I understand that almost all Emory grads leave GA after law school.  Between UGA and GA State, GSU has the better reputation in Atlanta, UGA has the better reputation in GA overall.

This is what I've gathered from working at 1 mid-sized firm and 1 BIGLAW firm in Atlanta.

In fact, my boss this summer said GA State offers the best legal education in Georgia.

This made me LOL.  ::) If you're looking for the best legal education in GA, you'll be heading to Emory or UGA.  UGA is probably the best value for your money, Emory may edge out as best overall but with a huge price tag.  Nothing against GA State, but its far from the best legal education in Georgia - and that comment has NOTHING to do w/ the rankings and has everything to do with the different programs, offerings, job opportunities, reputation, alum base, etc.

I do agree that you're much better off at GA State than John Marshall though.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »
Over 26k for John Marshall?!?!

Think twice about it.  Do what ever you can to get in to Georgia State instead.  It is about 1/5 the price and the career options are much much better.  In fact, my boss this summer said GA State offers the best legal education in Georgia.  US News would disagree, but I've only heard good things about the school.

I don't go to GSU, by the way, so I'm not trying to plug my own school.

*sigh*

I know that you mean well, but this upset me a little.

Why do you assume that I haven't thought a great, great deal about this?  I know the cost of the school. I know all about the reasons to be careful with JMLS. Lord knows that people on this board won't let you forget about it's drawbacks.

I'm a bright person, and so I know what I'm getting in to.

Georgia State was, in fact, my first choice. But I'm a part-time student and rooted in Atlanta. That left me two choices- JMLS and Ga State.  One accepted me, one didn't.

For all of it's faults, JMLS seems to cater more towards part-time evening students than Ga State.  JMLS specifically makes certain co-curricular activities, such as Law Review and Moot Court, available to evening students. The feeling I got at Ga State was that these activities were primarily for the full-time day students, or at the very least Ga State didn't go out of the way to make sure that evening students could participate. JMLS did.  That doesn't mean that I think that JMLS is a better choice, I'm simply pointing out that there are some things that JMLS does that I really like.

Just like everyone else on this board, I just want to be a lawyer. And so I'll play the hand I'm dealt and make the best of it.

But please don't assume that I haven't thought things through.

just wondering

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I am also in the same boat.  I will be at JMLS this fall in the evening.  I went to the open house & it was impressive!  I heard all the drawbacks also, but as you said "you play the hand your dealt"  Lets play!!  I will see you in a month. ;)

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
I know that every student tries to paint their school in the best possible light... so you can take my next comment with a grain of salt.  =)

In the last 2 years, that school has changed tremendously.  New classrooms and courtrooms and new faculty. The progress is impressive. Things have even improved since the accepted students luncheon.  That has made me feel much better about things, to be honest.  It makes me feel like things are moving in a very positive direction.

I'll be seeing you in just a few weeks!

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »
John Marshall seems to be a good school for a T4.  Even in the past when it was unaccredited, they had several prominent attorneys and judges in Atlanta as part of its alumni base.  Its going to be very difficult to get a BIGLAW position or clerkship, but you can certainly become a sucessful attorney if you go to JMLS.