Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Out of Undergrad vs. Time Off  (Read 1054 times)

BDix

• View Profile
    • Email
Out of Undergrad vs. Time Off
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:32:27 AM »
I know other people have probably asked about it, but I was wondering if people who take time off are generally better students than those who come straight out of undergrad? I've heard many of the arguments for and against taking time off, but I'd like to know how it is in the class room.

Thanks

GA-fan

Re: Out of Undergrad vs. Time Off
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:49:03 AM »
Yes- anecdotal, but 5 of the 6 book award winners for my classes were nontrads (out of maybe 30 of us in the class of 100). I think you just take school more seriously. You will feel old, though  :) I'm only 4 years out of undergrad and I feel old...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 09:03:20 AM »
It's different for everyone, but personally I am very glad I took 2 years off.  I started law school feeling refreshed and ready to go.  I've heard a good number of my friends who came straight from college say that if they could do it again, they'd take time off.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:09:03 AM »
i agree with Jacy - if I could do it again, I would have worked for a year and then gone to law school.  Now, having said that, I don't think there is any difference in performance for those going straight from undergrad vs. time off people.  A lot of people say, like an above poster, people who take time off are older and therefore take school more seriously.  It has been my observation that it really doesn't matter, as far as grades are concerned.
check the footnotes ya'll

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:23:07 AM »
Don't discount jumping right in to law school if you are determined that's the path you want to take.  I am fresh out of undergrad and after my first semester I am in the top 5%.  The other posters make some good points about the benefits of waiting, but you have to do what's right for YOU.  I think the main thing is your maturity level and your discipline; regardless of your age as a 1L, I think you need both to maximize your potential.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
I went straight out of undergrad and did well, too, but I still wish I had taken some time off.  Even beyond the question of whether you'll do well or whether you'll lack maturity, something that most people don't consider is that once you graduate from law school and start being a lawyer, it's really hard to take a significant amount of time off (i.e. two years to travel, work in a completely different field, teach, etc.).  If there's something you may want to do, go do it now!  It's the best opportunity, and if you're lucky and really love being a laywer, you really won't have a lot of time (for a looong while) to go out and do something different.

Then again, there's certainly something to be said for momentum.  I did well my last two years in undergrad and wanted to jump right in to law school.  I always wonder whether, if I had taken time off, I would have done as well when I eventually went to school (or whether I would have eventually gone at all ...)
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »
Well put, sir (ma'am?).

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:00:30 PM »
Why does everyone think I'm a boy!?
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 09:07:55 PM »
Why does everyone think I'm a boy!?

Sources report that Britney Spears has been going crazy asking everyone she runs into the same question...

GA-fan

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »
Just to reiterate, I didn't mean to suggest taht students going straight through from UG don't do well- it's obvious that they do. I was just suggesting that nearly all of the non trads are in the top half of the class, and straight out of UG students tend to comprise the bottom (obviously, we cant all be in the top half of hte class, but it is striking to me that the lowest grades tends to be handed out to 22 years olds that haven't developed adequate study skills due to grade inflation and being unaccustomed to working the 40-50 hr weeks 1L requires). JSIA