Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wayne (50% tuition) v. MSU (Full ride)  (Read 6632 times)

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Wayne (50% tuition) v. MSU (Full ride)
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 12:00:40 AM »
Hey Molaw,

What did you think of the program at MSU?  I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would and actually have changed my thinking.  I talked to three people all of whom told me the average GPA for 1L's was about a 2.94.  I don't know if it is completely accurate and I heard that they might actually lump together a lot of the scholarship students into the same section (not sure if true), and I don't know if the people I talked to actually gave me an accurate assessment, but it was pretty reassuring.  Let me know what you think about everything?
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • it rubs the lotion on its skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »
At both MSU open houses I went to I talked to several students and they thought the average GPA was right around a 2.97 ish.  I did ask one of them if she was in the same section as all the other people on scholarship.  She didn't think so, but wasn't positive.  But, I think there are only 2 full-time sections, right? The King Program sounds really good, but I realize keeping a 3.5 may be very difficult.  I'm not that worried anymore about maintaining the 3.0 for the scholarship, and I wouldn't be devastated if I couldn't continue in the King program.

I have been really impressed by MSU and have decided that I will go there.  I am really excited about it!  I plan to send all my paperwork in tomorrow.  I was planning on calling admissions, but maybe you know the answer....since we are on full-scholarship do we still have to pay the seat deposits?
MSU 2010

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 11:14:31 PM »
Hey Molaw,

I think we still have to, but let me know.  On mine I believe it said that there was a $200 tuition deposit due the 1st and a $500 dollar one due the 15th.  Anyway, I too will be sending in those deposits.  I was really impressed with the program and left thinking that I could maintain the GPA and since I want to do government law would be in the perfect place.  Maybe we will be in the same section.  Congratulations on your decision.

Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 12:38:21 PM »
Yay! Congratulations!

It's nice to know there will already be one familiar face in the fall. 

I just called the admissions office - we still have to pay the seat deposits April 1st and June 1st, and we will be reimbursed once we matriculate in the fall.
MSU 2010

EvanPickering

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 01:35:17 PM »
Hey All,

I'm glad to see you both made this decision and I wasn't wearing rose colored glasses on Sat.  I was very impressed.  The breakfast was nice, but I thought the open house was stealer.   My deposit has been made as well.  See you both in the fall. 

Evan

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 02:46:11 PM »
Congrats Evan,

I really do think MSU will make a name for itself in the next couple of years.  Despite the low Bar passage rates from a few years back, it really is a tier 2 school and has the potential to be there soon.  I think a couple of us should get together and have our own study group so that we can ensure we keep our scholarship. 

Anyone know some nice and quiet areas to live in that aren't too expensive and are close enough to the law school at MSU? 

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »
Congrats Evan!  One more for the Spartys!

Well, if the leaked rankings are correct then MSU moved back into Tier 3 and Wayne fell into Tier 4! Wow!  I guess US News found out we all chose MSU, haha.

I would love to get a study group together.  I wonder if we find out our sections over the summer or not until orientation?  I'm not sure about good places to live since I'll be commuting, but one of the 3Ls at the scholarship breakfast said that the apartment complexes that came to the open house were all good places for grad students.
MSU 2010

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »
Hey Molaw,

There is no way US News found out or it would clearly be a tier 2 not 3.  Arrogance aside, that is really good news for MSU.  I sent in my deposit the morning before I found out so it was a very pleasant suprise.

Anyway, I hope I can find some good accomadations there. I checked out Owen Hall, but it is very small and I think I would feel absolutely cramped.

andrewje

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2007, 06:23:50 PM »
Hey Molaw,

There is no way US News found out or it would clearly be a tier 2 not 3.  Arrogance aside, that is really good news for MSU.  I sent in my deposit the morning before I found out so it was a very pleasant suprise.

Anyway, I hope I can find some good accomadations there. I checked out Owen Hall, but it is very small and I think I would feel absolutely cramped.

Owen is small but the location can't be beat.  You get maid service and the caf food is decent.  And you get a prime parking spot right across the street (if you sign up soon enough).  I'd take a closer look at Owen.  You have no annoying roommates and no bills to worry about and you don't have to cook or clean.  It's a good situation for 1L's.  Are you from the area?  If not, it's especially good for you.   I don't live there but I've had really close friends who did recently so I'm really familiar with Owen and East Lansing in general.  So if you have any questions, ask away!

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 11:07:44 AM »
Hey,

I was at the program at MSU on the 24th as well.  I really enjoyed the presentations and the school in general.  Right now it is one of my top choices.  Finding a decent place will be a challenge for me though because Owen is out the question (my GF is moving with me)  We looked around a bit, and I am not sure where the quiet areas would be.  I currently go to Iowa, and I know it would be a disaster to end up in a wild undergrad party area! 

Where do you all plan work after LS?  In Michigan? 

Sorry to dig up this semi-old thread, but I just realized that there was still a search function.