Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: greenberg traurig meet and greet  (Read 2155 times)

onedashL

• View Profile
    • Email
greenberg traurig meet and greet
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
i was denied a spot as a first-year for GT this summer a couple weeks ago, however i was invited to a meet 'n greet this summer to meet the attorneys of any office and the summer associates.  anyone have any feedback on this invite?

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: greenberg traurig meet and greet
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:49 AM »
Don't get your hopes up on this. They're just wanting you to tell your classmates about the "awesome" GT reception.

You'll get used to these types of receptions as a 2L. They're good for a couple of drinks, and some totally disinterested associates and partners who won't remember your name at a callback or screening interview during your 2L year.

i was denied a spot as a first-year for GT this summer a couple weeks ago, however i was invited to a meet 'n greet this summer to meet the attorneys of any office and the summer associates.  anyone have any feedback on this invite?

onedashL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »
ended up being some bs.  they invited the entire school to this event.  makes them look pretty crummy in my mind.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »
We had a firm reception for Top 20% students, the kicker was that the firm only OCI's Top 10%.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:32 PM »
Why would inviting the entire school make them look crummy?  I certainly remember there were at least half a dozen law firms that invited the entire 1L class to mass receptions this past spring semester.

It is advertising, pure and simple.  They want more people to recognize their name, which will lead to more 2Ls trying to get interviews, so they can have a better selection for next summer.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »
A lot of firms seem to do this.  What's the point?  It seems like a waste of money for them.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »
It's a chance to make an impression on students who are looking at dozens (if not hundreds) of firms that contain one string of names or another, sometimes appearing virtually indistinguishable.  Plus, it's a good chance to meet students who are truly motivated about finding a job; perhaps ones without top grades but who have other redeeming qualities.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »
the question is not what is in it for them, but rather what is in it for us.  I know a girl who got offered a job with Mayer Brown as 1L after attending such reception.  They were so impressed that they called her up for an interview.