Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L going back for 2L summer  (Read 1403 times)

oggles1

• View Profile
    • Email
1L going back for 2L summer
« on: February 15, 2007, 08:27:55 PM »
I am a 1L who was fortunate enough to get a summer job with a firm.  The firm says that they've never had a 1L who wasn't invited to work again the next summer.  But do you think they'll want to look at second semester grades, or do firms just invite you back based on performance at work?

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: 1L going back for 2L summer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 03:14:22 PM »
I am a 1L ... The firm says that they've never had a 1L who wasn't invited to work again the next summer ... do you think they'll ... invite you back?

yeah.
post-3L

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »
They will want to take a look at those second semester grades!  Why would a firm take a person who rocked the first semester, and let their performance second semester drop tremendously?  It shows a lot about that person!

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
I am a 1L who was fortunate enough to get a summer job with a firm.  The firm says that they've never had a 1L who wasn't invited to work again the next summer.  But do you think they'll want to look at second semester grades, or do firms just invite you back based on performance at work?

I'm in the same position as you. I think it depends on how prestigious the firm is and how good your school is. If you got a SA gig at a V10, you should make sure not to completely tank the spring term. This is the last semester that really matters, just don't give entirely up. Do your best, but you won't have to freak out if you do poor because you probably will have employment at that firm regardless.