Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stop Hiding Behind Your ABA School!!!!  (Read 7169 times)

fullitaliandmr

• AOL Instant Messenger - fullitaliandmr
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stop Hiding Behind Your ABA School!!!!
« on: February 14, 2007, 09:46:43 AM »
I just wanted to write something here because I think it is absolutely ridiculous for ABA students to critize DL students. For one, we ALL take the bar exam. Just because you attend Harvard or Yale doesn't mean you will pass the bar OR even be a good attorney. I am glad California is the first state to recognize DL because it will soon be mainstream. ABA schools are very expensive because of how much it costs the school to get approval. Again....nothing to do with the teaching methods....so what if you have a bigger library! I would also like to inform everyone that MANY individuals, including Abraham Lincoln, learned law on there own. This is NOT medical school....it can be done through self-study. One can argue that you need moot court....No, you simply go to your local court house and ask to observe. You inform them that you are a law student and that you would like to sit in. They are very helpful. Besides, law school teaches you NOTHING about actually practicing the law....why the hell do you think larger, more civilized states like California and New York have law office study programs? Because they KNOW that going to an ABA school is NOT required....Get Real. I cant stand these people who hide behind the ABA accredidation....deep down inside they hate the fact that DL students will graduate with zero debt while they are down 120k without a job. Please...I have an MBA, CPA and a BA. Doing law school online has allowed me to continue working in my current profession while pursuing my ultimate dream. By the way, the California Bar Exam is the HARDEST in the United States...actually the BABY BAR is harder than some states actual bar exam. SO if you think DL students are second-rate or unable to make it in an ABA school than why are we PASSING THE HARDEST BAR IN THE U.S.?? My advice is to stop being jealous and congratulate those who made a better choice by choosing a DL school. Get a life....and to those who are current DL students...Keep up the hard work.

blahblahblah12

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stop Hiding Behind Your ABA School!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
You are right--I am unmasked!  My jealousy of students attending online law school has been eating away at me like a cancer.  Perhaps now after your insightful post I will be able to move on.

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
I don't think law is best learned online. I think my classmates have been some of the greastest teachers for me this first year. They have helped me expand my viewpoint, they are intelligent so they keep the class discussion great, and there is never really a time when they are so dumb as to miss obvious questions, unless it is obvious they didn't do the reading (and lord knows we can forgive someone for that).

Taking classes online would limit all of that. I mean, you sound like you want to be perceived as a hard worker and, if you are one, good for you. But there is value to going to an actual physical law school.

By the way, I'm almost never in the library, except for journal activity when I need a book.

Voyager

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »
You will be a great success in the legal world.

For what it is worth, I think online schools are are just as effective as T4 schools.

Also, I COMPLETELT AGREE that New York and California are the only civilized states.

LSDer555

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »
fullitaliandmr,

I respect that you are working hard and learning the law on your own.  I wish you the best of luck.  However, the facts speak for themselves: the vast majority of those who study the law on their own fail the bar exam not only the first time, but every subsequent time they try to take it.  The small minority that does successfully pass the bar is locked out of most of the legal jobs and usually end up doing "quasi-legal" work or work not related to the law.  Before you trumpet the merits of self-learning, you should see where you are in five years.

You're right that ABA law schools are a kind of a racket, they're overpriced, and in many ways they really do a poor job preparing you to be a lawyer.  But the way the legal field is structured, it is incredibly difficult to pass the bar or become a lawyer without going to an ABA law school.  It doesn't matter if this is right or wrong, it's just reality.  Those of us who seek to go to an ABA law school aren't "hiding behind it."  On the contrary, we're taking the path most likely to yield the greatest rewards with the least effort.

I respect your obvious dedication and self-motivation.  I just hope that you'll stop belittling those who want to take the traditional route, or who are from other parts of the nation than you are.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:34:46 AM »
Air Force JAG Corps

Voyager

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »
I would also like to inform everyone that MANY individuals, including Abraham Lincoln, learned law on there own.

"Their" own. Not "there" own. There is a reason you are not at a real law school.

Also, do you think Honest Abe would have picked an online law school instead of a real law school had he been alive today? 

My Top-30, ABA Law School, advice is to kill yourself. HTH.

Subtle Fordham troll.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »
Didn't Abraham Lincoln also learn how to submerge his homosexuality on his own too?

I would also like to inform everyone that MANY individuals, including Abraham Lincoln, learned law on there own.

"Their" own. Not "there" own. There is a reason you are not at a real law school.

Also, do you think Honest Abe would have picked an online law school instead of a real law school had he been alive today? 

My Top-30, ABA Law School, advice is to kill yourself. HTH.

jondoe

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
If concord graduates are good enough for the state supreme court they sure as hell are good enough for me. If the other schools suck then shut them down. If not then let it go.

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »
how's the OCI system for your online law school treating you?

lolz at the honest ab reference
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."