Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stop Hiding behind your ABA school...  (Read 22092 times)

Alltruth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stop Hiding behind your ABA school...
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »
What is so complicated about the law? You have lawyers in the United Kingdom who are lawyers on an undergraduate degree. You are not talking rocket science and the law is no more complicated than any other discipline. What is taught in U. S. law schools could be easily taught in a 4-year undergraduate program. Your credentials tell me that you donít have much faith in yourself since you have to hide behind academic credentials.

wardwilliams

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 01:14:06 AM »
What is so complicated about the law? You have lawyers in the United Kingdom who are lawyers on an undergraduate degree. You are not talking rocket science and the law is no more complicated than any other discipline. What is taught in U. S. law schools could be easily taught in a 4-year undergraduate program. Your credentials tell me that you donít have much faith in yourself since you have to hide behind academic credentials.

?   ?    ?     ?    ?

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 08:50:18 AM »

I never said the law was overwhelmingly complicated. I just said that the law is more complicated now than in the 1800's where the OP inferred that if Abe Lincoln could learn the law himself back then, that it's just as easy now. I agree that it can be done in a 4 year undergraduate program. The issue is do we want kids fresh out of high school trying to handle the rigors of law school? The dropout rates would be significantly higher for a multitude of reasons: (1) 18 yr old kids really don't know what they want to do yet...it usually takes a couple years of undergrad and even an entry level job before you know what career path you want to take. (2) maturity - can they handle studying on most weekends when their friends are out partying all the time, etc. (3) Risk/reward: provided you don't completely screw up, you can earn a college degree with a minimal amount of work. Are parents really going to encourage their teenagers to take out loans and go to law school when they could very well drop out or fail out, leaving them in the hole with no degree? The system may be costly and inefficient for some, but I don't see a reason to change it.

And aside from mentioning the fact that I transferred up, I mentioned nothing about my academic credentials. Please tell me how I'm "hiding" behind my academic credentials and how I don't have faith in myself..