Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stop Hiding behind your ABA school...  (Read 22053 times)

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Stop Hiding behind your ABA school...
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 11:15:40 AM »
For those who are not using DL schools for career advancement purposes, what is the job placement, do those schools even have some sort of career center if you will?  Whats the median salary in the public/private sector, bar passage rates?  All information is a reflection of the legal education received there, (to an extent)

uart

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »

I would think the professional world would look down upon you.  Similar to a degree from University of Phoenix, SOME employers may have the attitude that a degree is a degree, but these will most likely be individuals who have no education; are in their position due to starting work the day the company opened.

Headhunters generally don't care as much. They just need you to look good and meet the published requirements.

All I know, is if I was doing the hiring, and someone was setting across the desk from me, who did their undergrad at U. of Phoenix, then got their JD by way of DL, there is no way I would consider offering them a job.

I'd consider it if it was a 50 year old guy with 3 kids. MAYBE. I still wouldn't, most likely, but if it is a younger person, I'd assume the worst.

DL has it's place, and if you live in Juno, AK, then employers would be understanding of the circumstances.  But beyond situations where DL was the only option, it just gives the impression of being lazy, or taking short cuts.
It SHOULD, but I have a feeling that outside of law school, it doesn't.

Grades wouldn't even matter, because it's simply not the same.  It's not just the schooling, but the entire experience of going to law school that counts.  The best analogy I can think of would be to think of the attitudes natural bodybuilders, who worked their butt off to get in the shape they are in, would have towards someone who got into the same shape in 3 months by taking roids.
I followed you right up until the roids analogy. DL isn't cheating, it's just not the same at all as an ABA school.

I'm not saying any of this is 100% true, or that DL does not provide a good education.  But the stigma of DL education is something to consider.  The attitudes towards online degrees is definitely not good.  And almost anyone who has earned the same degree by actually going to school, will think it is a complete joke.   Sorry.  I'm sure someone will repost with some story of someone they know, with an awesome job, etc; who went the DL route.  But these people are the exception.

I hope law school is different, but my sister is a recruiter. She went to a good UG. She tells me that she has no problems with UofPh or other online programs. She actually intends to do an online Masters herself. She's obviously not a prestige-whore like her brother, but still...

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 11:29:46 AM »
What I don't understand is why someone that has accomplished so much (MBA, CPA, BA) feels so insecure that the criticisms of other law students provokes such a rant? Were those other degrees earned through DL, therefore leaving the OP in doubt about his entire educational background? If DL truly is as good as B&M schooling, then why does the OP feel the need to try to convince other law students of its worth when the true value of the DL degree will be judged by employment offers? If a DL degree ISN'T of equal value to a B&M degree (an opinion that many seem to hold), then the OP has no basis to his claim.
 ???
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Sako

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
By the way, the California Bar Exam is the HARDEST in the United States...actually the BABY BAR is harder than some states actual bar exam.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything to backup these statements, or is it just anecdotal?

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »

My understanding is that while you may come out of these schools with little or no understanding of the law, you are well rested because of DL schools' emphasis on "nap time" and are one hell of a finger painter. 

I'm in remedial finger painting at my brick & mortar school ... do you think I should sign up for supplemental classes at Novus?
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »

My understanding is that while you may come out of these schools with little or no understanding of the law, you are well rested because of DL schools' emphasis on "nap time" and are one hell of a finger painter. 

I'm in remedial finger painting at my brick & mortar school ... do you think I should sign up for supplemental classes at Novus?

Oops.  You can't be "at" something that doesn't exist.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

JoeBob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »
the baby bar is not hard, the reason the pass rates are soo low is that DL and non aba schools admit anyone with a credit card. The whole I will pass the hardest bar in the nation argument is moot as very few dls ever pass the bar.  Just do the math a huge portion do not pass the baby bar and of those that do a tiny portion pass the bar.  Not to mention you can not go to another state as most require an ABA degree.  If I was an old man having a midlife crisis I would invest in a red corvette not a fake law degree.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 11:09:50 AM »
the baby bar is not hard, the reason the pass rates are soo low is that DL and non aba schools admit anyone with a credit card. The whole I will pass the hardest bar in the nation argument is mute as very few dls ever pass the bar.  Just do the math a huge portion do not pass the baby bar and of those that do a tiny portion pass the bar.  Not to mention you can not go to another state as most require an ABA degree.  If I was an old man having a midlife crisis I would invest in a red corvette not a fake law degree.

It's moot, not mute.  If you're going to accuse everyone who gets a DL degree of having a midlife crisis, at least use phrases and terms that you understand.

JoeBob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »
my bad yet the fact remains you go to a school that gives anyone with a credit card a diploma.  You might as well go to online medical school and become a fake doctor.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 03:23:26 PM »
I never said I went to a DL school.  Maybe you should read the board instead of trolling around for 3 hours just to insult people.