Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have a foreign accent  (Read 1507 times)

xivanax

• View Profile
I have a foreign accent
« on: February 13, 2007, 07:31:05 PM »
Hi everybody,

I'm somewhere from Balkan. I moved to US eight years ago, but I still have an accent that I cannot get rid of. I tried everything, but I just sound foreign. How is that going to work out with law school and my career options? I have a feeling that legal professiona is not very sympathetic to people with accents? Is that the case?

My accent is killing me. I am always aware of it, and it drives me crazy. Instead of focusing on what I have to say I am always focusing on my accent, and wondering what the other person is thinking about my accent. This is becoming a huge issue for me.

I'll be starting law school in fall 2007, but because of my accent I have my doubts.
Any opinions? Please help me help myself? Should I go to law school? Will I be accepted in the legal profession with my accent?

Thank you,

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I have a foreign accent
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:57:29 PM »
no. 

people will loathe and despise you.  they will refuse to share contracts notes with you, and mock your failure to understand the rule of perpetuities.  they will put gum in your chair, and trip you when you're walking in the hallways.  the hot girls will not date you, and the cool kids will not allow you into their study groups.  if you somehow manage to pass law school, you will not pass the bar, or get a job.  they will eventually find your wizened body behind a dumpster at wal-mart, your worthless diploma clutched in your mummified, claw-like hands.

i recommend you give this up and become a sheepherder.

xivanax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
does anybody have real advice???

yvyty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:56:13 PM »
Accents are cute and distinctive. Just be sure to speak slowly and clearly when called on or when asking questions. The location of your law school also makes a difference. If you go to a relatively diverse school, then no worries. If you go to a school where 99% of the people speak with the same accent, then work on imitating how people say words. Listen, imitate, repeat. It took me about a year and a half to sound mostly American.

antic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 11:12:22 PM »
I went to the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court the other day.  The chief justice has a strong South African accent.

Don't worry.  Nobody cares.

xivanax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 11:28:15 PM »
now I'm relieved.. thank you ... everybody...

anybody had any other experiences with people with foreign accents?

windycindy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Burn this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 11:28:53 PM »
I have a foreign accent too! Whenever I go to Canada, England, Australia, India.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »
Diversity is encouraged so I think it will be good, as long as people can easily understand you.

JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 04:02:38 PM »
I most of law school, you're not being judged on what you are saying instead of what you are writing. I know there may be cases in trial practice and advocacy classes where you will be evaluated on your oral skills but in the overwhelming majority of cases your grade will be determined by your legal writing skills and on written exams at the end of your semester. In most places these are anonymous so even if your professor was xenophobic he would not know he was grading an American or a foreigner's essay. You've been here for 8 years, I'm assuming you are fluent in English if so you have nothing to worry about. We have a few people in my classes that have Indian, Latino or Eastern European accents and they are accepted like anyone else.  I agree with the point that it depends on where you go to school also. If you go to school anywhere on the East coast from D.C. to Boston or in California or Chicago I would assume they would be more tolerate then going to school in other areas.

Masha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »
Hi, I have a big accent too. I don't care ;D
I live here for only 3 years, and I am 1l. I didn't really study English before I came here. I don't think I will ever be able to speak without any accent.
Some proffessors will help  you b/c you are foreign student. Most of them will not.
I wouldn't worry about your accent at all, there always will be people who think you are stuped just because you don't speak well. Ignore them. However, most of those people don;t go to law schools. ;D
Worry about your grammar and your writing. Take classes, buy some books and study now, when you still have time. 
I know several foreign people who went through law school  and they are doing pretty good now.