Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Business Cards?  (Read 1985 times)

Law9486

• View Profile
Business Cards?
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:55:56 AM »
So, my career services advisor was shocked to find out that I didnt have business cards yet. How many of you have them? How often do you give them to someone? What do they say besides name, school, graduation year, and email? Thanks!

GA-fan

Re: Business Cards?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »
I have them, but I rarely use them (though I've done a lot of networking). Usually I'll take a card from the person I'm talking to and send them an email with my contact info and resume. You don't want to wait for them to get around to contacting you, so what's the point?

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »
I have them and they have come in quite handy for me, but I do use them more with other DC-area law students rather than employers. It has been nice having them when I needed 'em.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 11:45:18 PM »
Maybe they just aren't popular at my school, but I have never even heard of this.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 12:57:15 AM »
Our dean specifically said not to do this.  Personally, I think it looks kinda schmuck-ish

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 03:29:48 AM »
Our dean specifically said not to do this.  Personally, I think it looks kinda schmuck-ish

You think it makes you look like a schmuck to have business cards as a law student? I'm guessing you didn't spend long in the business world between undergrad and law school.

Let me explain, people keep track of a card much better than some scrap of paper that's scribbled on. No student is dumb enough to just hand their card to a potential employer without being asked. You only give it to them when you have a pretty good reason. I have had many attorneys explicitly ask me for my card, either because they wanted to contact me or they were passing it on to someone else; here, a card tends to make you look more like a professional, whereas a scribbled on piece of paper tends to make you look more like a student. I, as well as most of the attorneys you will network with, keep a binder specifically for the business cards (not random paper) of contacts, jotting down little things on them about the connection and the person to aid the memory.

In sum, utility is why I have them, not as some weird unearned symbol of power or whatever you may take them as. Law school is a professional school, and business cards are just tools of the trade.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 10:47:29 AM »
Well, if you have a business card from a prior biz, I think that is more acceptable.  If you have a card which says law student, I still think that's looks like a "symbol of unearned power."

TNlawman25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 11:49:06 AM »
Typically a prequisite for having "business cards" is having some form of "business"... If I got a card from a fellow law student (that didnt have a job requiring cards) I would expect it to read "I'm a dork with no business having business cards"

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:16:59 AM »
Well, if you have a business card from a prior biz, I think that is more acceptable.  If you have a card which says law student, I still think that's looks like a "symbol of unearned power."

Wait... so you think it's better to pass out business cards for a company you no longer work for, rather than handing out cards that truthfully state your present situation....?

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
I go to a pretty decent law school, and as a Christmas present from the Dean, every 1L got about a hundred business cards.  I think they're really handy especially when you go to a Career Fair.  You don't have much time to talk to prospective employers but you can give them your card.  It's much smaller than a resume, and looks pretty professional.  After all, you're trying to obtain "professional" employment so why not look the part.  I'm not sure what is "schmuckish" about this.