Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: good litigation shops  (Read 6154 times)

yellowknife

• View Profile
good litigation shops
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:57:29 PM »
What are the top litigation places in california besides Keker & Van Nest, Quinn Emanuel and Munger??? Is it true that all three are paying NY salary scale in SF?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: good litigation shops
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
nobody uses the term "shop" to refer to law firms. That's strictly a finance thing

PS if you refer to a partner as a BSD, won't go over so well.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 01:54:50 PM »
Irell & Manella
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:08:15 PM »
You can pretty much go with any Vault 100 firm and be in great shape.  However, from your post - and I do see the sense in using the word "shop" if you mean firms that are known exclusively for their litigation and thus generally boutiques - also consider Farella in SF.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »
Boies Schiller - Although not a huge presence in California (small office in Oakland), David Boies has a huge presence in litigation.

Day Casebeer - Small firm (only 30-40 attys) in Silicon Valley does exclusively IP litigation but pays 135k. Named partner Rusty Day (and other named partners) built strong reputation as IP litigation group at Cooley before spinning off their own firm.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »
I do see the sense in using the word "shop" if you mean firms that are known exclusively for their litigation and thus generally boutiques

Then he should have said boutiques.

Also, Boies is a good litigation place but I don't necessarily think it would be top of the list. if we aren't talking boutiques Gibson is great in California. Also, Susman Godfrey has an LA office. they are fantastic.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:49:41 PM »
Actually, yeah, from what I hear,, Day Casebeer is awesome.  One of the most brightest and hardworking of my classmates went to them.  From what I hear, they are the firm that cleans up other firm's messes on a lot of IP matters. 

And I'm not so sure that they would pay less than market.  Perhaps they didn't update on NALP but from what I heard last year, they were paying market if not above.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 08:36:54 PM »
I never said they paid below market. 135k is market in Silicon Valley except for the NYC firms and a handful of exceptions. They may have raised to 145k after the NYC firms went up to 160, but I'm not sure. In any case, my point was that Day Casebeer pays much more than most 30-40 lawyer firms.

EDIT: I just checked their website. Apparently they've also raised to 160.