Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Law Firm look at LSAT?  (Read 7400 times)

fruzel

• View Profile
Do Law Firm look at LSAT?
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:09:09 PM »
I got accepted into BC with a LSAT of 157.  I was wondering for those of you applying for jobs, internships and clerkships if they look at LSAT? I'm asking because I already made a deposit on a LSAT test prep (in case I didn't get into any law school) and was wondering if I should do the course and take the LSAT to improve on my score?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: Do Law Firm look at LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:13:19 PM »
Um...no they don't care.  Some firms request your undergraduate transcript, such IP and patent law focused firms.

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:05:16 AM »
No, firms don't care at all.

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 09:44:44 PM »
This is such a 1L or pre-law question. Law Firms don't give a d**mn about your LSAT. Although Law schools do. HTH

In fact, I would not recommend writing your LSAT score on the resume. If it is 173~180 the interviewer will think you are just a nerd. And if you don't have the grades to back it up...then....you are really screwed. If it is like 165 then it will make you look retarded. If it is like 170 the interviewers will feel stupid because he probably didn't score that.

HTH

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:44 PM »
Are you a URM?

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »

mc378

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
I am an attorney who enjoys reading this board.  It reminds me of the days when I had the same fears, concerns, and preconceptions as the majority of users.  Fortunately, the practice of law has influenced, honed, and refined my thoughts, so I'll share some of those thoughts in response to the question posed. 

In law school, when I interviewed for summer clerkships and jobs with large firms, nobody asked for my LSAT.  Obviously, everyone wanted to know my GPA.

Since that time, I have practiced for 13 years as a partnership-track associate at a large firm and, then, as a partner at a well-respected and successful boutique firm. Post-graduation, not one client has asked where I attended law school (a good small school -- Valparaiso Univ. School of Law in Valparaiso, Indiana).  Not one client, colleague or judge has asked for my LSAT score (which I long ago forgot). 

Clients do not have time to focus on your Bar scores, GPA, LSAT, law review note, or Moot Court accolades.  When they hire a lawyer, clients care about (1) obtaining solid legal advice, (2) ensuring that their attorney(s) make them look good, and (3) securing efficiency and quality at a good price.   

Law firm partners (whether at a large firm or small firm) care about (1) whether you are smart enough to handle their work, (2) whether you can "juggle" projects without suffering a nervous breakdown, (3) whether you can communicate effectively with clients, potential clients, courts, and/or other attorneys, and (4) whether you perform your work efficiently and generate a profit for the firm.  Focus on these four areas, and you will be fine. 

Work very hard; seek out opportunities; and don't give up.  You'll be on your way to a successful career as a private-practice attorney, and someday, your LSAT will become only a distant memory.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »
Another subtle Valpo troll?  :o
2L

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 07:41:02 PM »
Another subtle Valpo troll?  :o

Indeed. Subtle and no shame.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 08:39:15 PM »
NALP Guidelines bars them from asking about your LSAT score.