Law School Discussion

Waitlisting procedures for American...

Waitlisting procedures for American...
« on: February 04, 2007, 02:02:20 PM »
Hey all,

    So I bombed my lsat and got a 155. I was bio major for undergrad and got a 3.25 gpa...point being, i was sure american would flat out reject me. Well, I got put on their waitlist shockingly enough. They are my 2nd choice school and I would accept in the event of an admission offer if I weren't still waiting to hear back from Northeastern which is my 1st choice. I know the waitlist policy stipulates that they need an answer immediately if they offer me admission, and can wait as long as the 1st day of classes to do so. My question is if I do get off American's waitlist and get accepted, can I say yes and then cancel a few months later if I get an admission offer from Northeastern? Is accepting an admission offer while on waitlist binding? Are there consequences to this? Hopefully I didn't confuse everyone..thanks!

Re: Waitlisting procedures for American...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
You would go to Northeastern over American???  I would think carefully about this choice.  The job opportunities are going to be much much better at American.

To answer your question, yes you can usually revoke your decision to go to a school, but you will likely lose your deposit (around $500).

I know it can be expensive, but I think if you visited American and met with the Dean of Admissions, that would greatly help your chances.

Re: Waitlisting procedures for American...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 04:45:57 PM »
Yeah, I second the previous poster. Though I don't know much about Northeastern, I can tell you firsthand that DC is the place to be if you're studying law. There's more summer jobs here than you can shake a stick at.