Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much free time do you have as a 1L?  (Read 3314 times)

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much free time do you have as a 1L?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »
I think part of the issue (at least for me) is just buckling down and getting stuff done.  I have noticed that I spent way to much time screwing around on the net and stuff last semester when I should have just gotten my stuff down quickly and gotten out of the library.  This semester, I have a realy early schedule, which helps.  I get to school at 8, have class until 11 (or 1:20 some days) and then spend about 4 hours getting my work done and I am out of there.

I am also involved in a lot of student orgs, which have been great for networking, but not so great for time management.  I am hoping to cut one of them out next year. 

You can have a TON of free time if you want it, you just have to get your act together. 

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 01:23:34 PM »
I was thinking I might get more studying done if I stopped reading and posting on online newsgroups about how I don't have enough time to study.

You get my drift.

:)

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 02:27:03 PM »
I was asking myself, how is it that tortfeasor could be having so much difficulty balancing his work and his relaxation? Is it that hard to schedulae free time? Are the demands of 1L that intense? There must be something else going on here... wait.... it's coming to me.... something.... something... oh yeah...

I however, do smoke copious amounts of marijuana which helps me take it easy.

Well, I'm running down the road
tryin' to loosen my load
I've got seven classes on
my mind,
Four that wanna own me,
Two that wanna stone me,
And torts says its a friend of mine
Take It easy, take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels
drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy

On the serious side, if you have the time to smoke pot, that's cool. And if you're smokin' and studyin', then you're not really studyin' productively. Most law 1Ls I know of that are successful have a cutoff (like 7 or 8) for studying, then study all day on one of the weekends.

And then on Sunday you can hit the gravity bong all day long.

Haha, this version is much better than the original.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »

Weirdo druggie?  I actually get together with some of my fellow section-mates to smoke.  And have you ever been to college?  I think people smoke a lot of marijuana there.  I don't know what law school you go to but many people at mine occasionally smoke marijuana.  I never said I couldn't go out with my friends on a Friday or a Saturday.  I simply said that sometimes I don't want to because I'd rather review my notes.  And the only reason I replied in such a sarcastic tone was because of your "HA HA" and "I love these kinds of posts."  If you wrote what you wrote and omitted those comments it would have been fine.  And, you keep telling everyone to think about concepts and think about the rules.  For some people it is not enough.  Some people are not like you and they need to write stuff down and review it. 

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »
I generally have a bit of free time, with the exception of the first week of class, anytime legal writing is due, and about 3 weeks before finals

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »
I generally have a bit of free time, with the exception of the first week of class, anytime legal writing is due, and about 3 weeks before finals

ditto. I typically take off weekends, with the exception of Sunday night, outside of the above circumstances.

JohnDoe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »

Weirdo druggie?  I actually get together with some of my fellow section-mates to smoke.  And have you ever been to college?  I think people smoke a lot of marijuana there.  I don't know what law school you go to but many people at mine occasionally smoke marijuana.  I never said I couldn't go out with my friends on a Friday or a Saturday.  I simply said that sometimes I don't want to because I'd rather review my notes.  And the only reason I replied in such a sarcastic tone was because of your "HA HA" and "I love these kinds of posts."  If you wrote what you wrote and omitted those comments it would have been fine.  And, you keep telling everyone to think about concepts and think about the rules.  For some people it is not enough.  Some people are not like you and they need to write stuff down and review it. 

Yes I have been to college... sorry I don't do drugs like you.  And my law school friends don't get together to get stoned either.  Sorry.

correguachin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 06:57:39 PM »
my first semester i worked insane hours.. i really wanted to see how far i could push it.. i briefed every case (full briefs), took notes on every inch of every reading, and ended up with 60-80 page outlines for each of my classes...

i went to school usually around 7-8am and left school around 9-10pm (11pm or 12pm once in a while).. weekends were 9am to 10pm..

i got my grades back and did alright.. nothing spectacular, but solid.. except for one class for which i worked harder than any of the others.. one GPA point lower than all my other grades.. then i talked to someone in my section who didn't even open the casebook and learned only from canned briefs and gilberts.. he ended up getting an A..

second semester, i've concluded that working insane hours doesn't guarantee good grades.. i've stopped briefing and started heading straight into outlining.. focusing more on understanding the information rather than trying to absorb every detail.. i think i was just scared out of my wits last semester.. now i have an amazing amount of time... it's ridiculous.. i actually had time to go to the dentist last week... to go to the grocery.. i actually see myself having time to get a haircut at least once this semester..

don't go insane because it's not worth it.. find the best way to learn the information and retain it.. i just remember last thanksgiving freaking out b/c i didn't understand anything that we had covered in my classes and had to go back to teach myself everything by outlining/memorizing/using study aids.. i think this time it will be better if i start doing that from the very beginning..

sort of silly to think that i didn't realize that last semester.. but no one knows what the hell theyre doing their first semester..

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
its really not about the amount of time put in or the amount of time going out... if you get the concepts you get the concepts plain and simple... sometimes i will study one hour if I understand what im learning... sometimes ill study all night if I dont...

i do feel however that I have a lot of free time, sometimes too much. I always do my LRW a week before or so, and i will read the night before class and take sparce notes during class. I review probably ever month and fit everything together.

While this may work for me, im sure it may not for others, so to each his own. If you can find free time, thats great, if you cant, well thats law school. Obvisouly you have some free time to relax and blaze which is cool if that is your thing, im not here to pass judgment, but if youre worried about free time, use that time to go out and chill with friends instead of smoking... but thats all your decision...

free time is what you make of it anyway
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

murph0110

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 01:05:23 AM »
HA HA

I love these kinds of posts.  I go to a T2 in a big market, I study maybe 1-2 hrs a day.  Basically I do the reading for class the day before.  I do my legal writing papers a week or so before they are due, so on those weeks I spend a lot of time doing that.

I started studying for finals about 3 weeks before finals and basically looked over my notes and made a makeshift outline from my notes and random outlines on the internet.  I didn't really take any practice tests.

I don't really take notes in class, except for important stuff or if I don't understand something.  But I do pay attention in class and try to make sure I understand all the concepts we talked about that day.

I finished my 1L first semester ranked just inside the top 12% of my class.
Who are these people who "have no free time"... what the hell are you guys reading/studying all day?  OH and sitting in the library screwing around on the internet, or getting up every 10 minutes for snacks or socializing doesn't count as "studying"

Honestly, was there a need for the "HA HA" and "I love these kinds of posts?"  I mean I think its soooo cool that you can do so little work and finish in the top 12% of your class.  You are sooo smart!!  You don't take any practice tests?  Awesome!!  Some of us do need to do a lot of work though, so I know you like to brag to everyone about how you did so well by doing so little, but its really unnecessary.

hahha, no kidding...

it is always the ones who love to brag that they do not study, when, the reality of the matter is, this guy studies all the time...  Why brag if you are so smart????

This is such a classic line from wannabe's...  Watch a classic movie, Gross Anatomy, about a pre-med student with the same exact attitude...