Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much free time do you have as a 1L?  (Read 3388 times)

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How much free time do you have as a 1L?
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:28:51 AM »
Its hard, at least for me, to find any free time during the week and on weekends.  I find myself not wanting to go out with friends on a Friday or Saturday because I want to review my notes.  I know I shouldn't do this, because its nice to take a break and relax sometimes.  I however, do smoke copious amounts of marijuana which helps me take it easy.  Anyway, do any other 1Ls find themselves with 0 free time or do you guys try to relax and take it easy once in a while?

JohnDoe

• View Profile
Re: How much free time do you have as a 1L?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:45:26 AM »
HA HA

I love these kinds of posts.  I go to a T2 in a big market, I study maybe 1-2 hrs a day.  Basically I do the reading for class the day before.  I do my legal writing papers a week or so before they are due, so on those weeks I spend a lot of time doing that.

I started studying for finals about 3 weeks before finals and basically looked over my notes and made a makeshift outline from my notes and random outlines on the internet.  I didn't really take any practice tests.

I don't really take notes in class, except for important stuff or if I don't understand something.  But I do pay attention in class and try to make sure I understand all the concepts we talked about that day.

I finished my 1L first semester ranked just inside the top 12% of my class.
Who are these people who "have no free time"... what the hell are you guys reading/studying all day?  OH and sitting in the library screwing around on the internet, or getting up every 10 minutes for snacks or socializing doesn't count as "studying"

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:34:49 AM »
HA HA

I love these kinds of posts.  I go to a T2 in a big market, I study maybe 1-2 hrs a day.  Basically I do the reading for class the day before.  I do my legal writing papers a week or so before they are due, so on those weeks I spend a lot of time doing that.

I started studying for finals about 3 weeks before finals and basically looked over my notes and made a makeshift outline from my notes and random outlines on the internet.  I didn't really take any practice tests.

I don't really take notes in class, except for important stuff or if I don't understand something.  But I do pay attention in class and try to make sure I understand all the concepts we talked about that day.

Who are these people who "have no free time"... what the hell are you guys reading/studying all day?  OH and sitting in the library screwing around on the internet, or getting up every 10 minutes for snacks or socializing doesn't count as "studying"

Honestly, was there a need for the "HA HA" and "I love these kinds of posts?"  I mean I think its soooo cool that you can do so little work and finish in the top 12% of your class.  You are sooo smart!!  You don't take any practice tests?  Awesome!!  Some of us do need to do a lot of work though, so I know you like to brag to everyone about how you did so well by doing so little, but its really unnecessary.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »
I have a different situation because I have a young child at home, so there are a lot of times when studying is not feasible or what I want to do. In order to balance this out, I spend most lunch times at school working, Friday afternoon is my designated library time, either working on assignments or with my study group. I also read 1-2 hours per day after my son is in bed.

I would say I spend at least a few hours a day not studying, and not even thinking about law school. I think I'd go nuts if I didn't take a break at least one night per week and a few hours on the weekends. And wine helps keep me sane. Delicious, delicious wine.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 08:51:48 AM »
Except when legal writing assignments were due, I had quite a bit of free time as a 1L.  I worked every day during the week (between and after classes), but would stop by 7 or so at the lastest.  I then took the rest of the evening to unwind, watch some tv, grab some dinner with friends, or whatever.  When legal writing drafts were do, I probably spent more than a few nights working on it all evening.

I'd then work all day Saturday, stopping around 5 or so.  Then took Sunday off unless I had an unusual amount of work.

If you're outlining as you go, that should involve enough of a review of your notes.  Sitting in and doing work just because is not healthy or useful.  If you really like looking over what you've done, then maybe take an hour when you move into a new topic to just skim over what you've done so far.

And if you're stressed about grades, consider this.  Burn out doesn't just make you want to give up and not work.  Burnout affects how you think, you get mentally exhausted.  YOu just get overwhelmed with the law.  If you go into exams like that (which is what you're probably headed towards at this rate), you'll likely do worse than you would have if you kept yourself relaxed and fresh.

So take today off.  Go see a movie, have a drink, something like that.  If you schedule your study time, start scheduling time off.  You'll be better for it.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:07:03 AM »
I was asking myself, how is it that tortfeasor could be having so much difficulty balancing his work and his relaxation? Is it that hard to schedulae free time? Are the demands of 1L that intense? There must be something else going on here... wait.... it's coming to me.... something.... something... oh yeah...

I however, do smoke copious amounts of marijuana which helps me take it easy.

Well, I'm running down the road
tryin' to loosen my load
I've got seven classes on
my mind,
Four that wanna own me,
Two that wanna stone me,
And torts says its a friend of mine
Take It easy, take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels
drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy

On the serious side, if you have the time to smoke pot, that's cool. And if you're smokin' and studyin', then you're not really studyin' productively. Most law 1Ls I know of that are successful have a cutoff (like 7 or 8) for studying, then study all day on one of the weekends.

And then on Sunday you can hit the gravity bong all day long.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:35:49 AM »
I just wanted to add to that message before you think that all I am doing is being snarky- if smoking pot helps you relax, but you're not relaxed... then smoking pot really isn't helping you to relax, right?

Pot is generally not considered a study aid (before I am accused of being anti-marijuana, neither is alcohol). While I believe that pot, used responsibly, is perfectly a-ok (despite the Feds), I believe that it should be used (like alcohol) only in your downtime... after all studying for the day is done, or on a day when you will not be studying at all.

If you are studying all the time, and not getting your work done (or just barely), you are doing something else wrong. Either the pot or time management. You should be able to (other than when your legal writing/drafting/research/whatever your school calls it paper is do) take at least one day off on the weekend and enjoy some time off at night occasionally.

JohnDoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »

Honestly, was there a need for the "HA HA" and "I love these kinds of posts?"  I mean I think its soooo cool that you can do so little work and finish in the top 12% of your class.  You are sooo smart!!  You don't take any practice tests?  Awesome!!  Some of us do need to do a lot of work though, so I know you like to brag to everyone about how you did so well by doing so little, but its really unnecessary.
[/quote]

You asked for people's opinion on this matter.  Don't get mad because you are some weirdo druggie who can't handle pressure.  LOL, "I smoke copius amounts of marijuana"... lolololol.  I remember when this was normal, in high school.  I just found your post hilarious because you said you couldn't take any breaks even to go out on a friday night.  Think about it, that means that you are literally studying every waking hour of every day if you can't go out from like 10pm-3am on a Friday.  I mean what were you going to accomplish during those 5 hours that you couldn't have done at some other point in the weekend?  I think somebody below mentioned this, you seem to study just for the sake of studying.  I know a lot of people who do this just to make themselves feel better about themselves.

The most important thing in law school is not to review useless notes or go over cases over and over.  Just think about the concepts in class in the abstract.  Think about the rules and how they would apply in different situations.  If you can come out of every class thinking that you understand the concepts and understand where and when they should be applied you are 80% of the way there.

Harvey Birdman - Attorney at Law

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 10:49:44 AM »
HA HA

perfect response

UHLAW09

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 11:05:55 AM »
I kinda with some other people on here. I get to school early because my wife goes to work, getting here early is great because no one is here and you can focus. I normally am done with the reading and all I need to do by around 7-8 ish. I then take the rest of the night to wind down. Saturdays I try to keep up my outline and sunday I use part of the day to look at hypos and all. So it's very busy but you shouldnt let it consume you.