Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm # 4 in my class, and can't get an interview  (Read 5250 times)

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm # 4 in my class, and can't get an interview
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 11:51:32 PM »
My theory is that some employers are so adverse to risk that they don't want to take a chance that someone with no W/E has "Undergrad Syndrome", which coincidentally I hear is highly contagious, I mean you could be 22,23,24 and it not even be your fault!

GA-fan

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »
I'm in top 5% at a school ranked in the lower T1s, and I am having the same problems, but with a few years of WE also. I had 1 interview but didn't like the firm at all (no offer, not surprisingly), and the rest have been rejections. The real problem is you're competing with T14 kids. Try smaller firms, closer to March when most of them are hiring. Only the big firms have interviewed much yet (and in a lot of cases, have already hired for their summer class of 1Ls). Not sure what to do here, but I think in a month, desperation will set in and I may cave and transfer to a higher ranked school.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »
don't be too picky with your 1L job.  Spray firms with resume and just hope you get something.
Yale Law School - Class of 09

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 10:57:30 PM »
How many firms did you apply to? I find that a lot of people complain that they can't get a job, but they haven't put in the time. If you've applied to over 150 firms, then get worried. If you haven't applied to that many, then get on applying.

Good luck; I know firms are still interviewing.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 12:57:42 AM »
I sent out 30 today. we shall see how that goes.
Attending: OU

eray01

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 02:46:09 PM »
Grades aren't the only thing that counts by far. The girl that's number one in our class, hasn't had an offer anywhere yet, and it's obvious why. She has no social skills. She's a genius, but she's completely socially retarded. I was told by a recruiting attorney at a top 250 firm in Cincinnati that when you go into the interview, they already know whether you're qualified because they've seen you're resume. At that point they just want to be sure they like you. They want to make sure you'll fit in at the firm, and whether they can stand working with you day in and day out.

The other thing he told me is it's frustrating for them that law schools focus solely on numbers in admissions. They don't focus at all on personality and social skills. They can't. There's no way for law schools to interview because of the sheer volume of applicants. He said they would rather have somebody in the top 1/4 to 1/3 because most times those people have a good balance of social skills and brains. He said the top 10 percent guy may be a genius, but if he doesn't have any social skills he's nearly worthless. He's not likable and hard to work with, and they can never put him in front of a client. He said when they interview one of their rules of thumb is can they trust the interviewee by himself on a three hour plane ride with a client. Would a client want to sit next to this guy trapped on a plane and conversate with him/her for an extended period of time.

I met this guy at a recruiting event at my school. After the event there was an hors d'oeuvre buffet. He was sitting by himself at a table so I decided to chat him up. I'm all set with a job, so I figured I could pretty much ask and say whatever (within the bounds of decency anyway ;). This guy gave up of a lot of information.

Note: I'm in no way trying to cast any dispersions on the poster. I'm sure he'll be fine. Eventually he'll make a mutually beneficial connection.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »
Networking, man. Grades are all well & good but you've got to make some contacts. I have a marginal GPA at a T3 but I worked my butt off joining groups. I am a part time evening student, so I only have 6 full credits at school, but I've landed a job as a law clerk for a city making $16 or so an hour because of 'who I know'. I would HIGHLY recommend chatting up your profs, your school's staff, and looking up area firms with alumni from your school. Work the people you know. 
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

eray01

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 03:02:35 PM »
Ditto that. Be the guy everybody knows and likes. Call in all favors and exploit every potential connection. Even if it's a lawyer a friend or family member knows. I think lawyers are receptive to that kind of thing. They're at least willing to point you in the right direction.

GA-fan

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
Funny enough, I networked my ass off and still got my job through a resume blitz. Who I know didn't play any part in it. Networking is good, but don't rely on it to the degree of forgetting more traditional options such as getting good grades, etc.

But just to point out, there is a big difference between not being able to get an interview and not being able to get a job. Be concerned if you interview and can't get a job- making the cut is important, but don't take it personally that most firms won't bite basesd on your resume.