Law School Discussion

I'm # 4 in my class, and can't get an interview

I'm # 4 in my class, and can't get an interview
« on: February 02, 2007, 06:48:35 AM »
All I ever heard was "grades are everything."  Having received good grades the first semester, I am being passed up by other members of my class on the job hunt.  What's up with this?!

Re: I'm # 4 in my class, and can't get an interview
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:09:09 AM »
Drop out.  Your legal career is over. 

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »
Exactly!  That's what everyone's been telling me.  Just gotta accept it's all over and move on. 

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:43:39 AM »
Grades get you in the door, but they definitely do not guarantee you a job. 
Your situation sounds like what I went through last year - I assumed that my grades would automatically land me a big law summer position - and while they fortunately did secure me such a position - I received several rejection letters beforehand.
Your lack of success thus far can likely be attributed to (1) lack of job experience or (2) lack of interview experience.  To prove this point, there was a guy in my class who had good, but not great, grades - yet he received like 5 offers from large law firms our 1L year.  He had had a great job before law school and knew how to handle himself in his interviews.  I was being passed over despite the fact that my grades were significantly higher than his - because I had virutally no work experience and had never been in a professional interview setting.   
I evaluated my performance in the middle of the 1L recruiting season, and realized that I wasn't as calm or confident as I needed to be in my interviews.  You have to realize that most everyone who has interviews with the same firms have the grades, so now they're looking for personality.  I'd suggest looking over the interview section of Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.  It provides a good framework on how to approach interviews.  After I read the book and used her suggestions, I got an offer from the next firm I interviewed with.
Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:28:39 AM »
There are plenty of reasons why you may be passed over- it may be lack of work/interview experience like mccali pointed out or it may be that certain firms are looking for people who have certain backgrounds- e.g. science, engineering, etc. I know people with work experience and good grades who don't do all that well either, so it may just be a matter of marketing yourself in a way that piques employers' interest if you do have some experience behind you.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
Is your career office not giving you any love?

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 10:57:22 AM »
The guy who is no. 1 in our class here, has the most interviews of anyone in our school, but has yet to get a job.  Grades get you interviews, then interviews get your jobs.

Brush up on your interview skills.  Talk to Career Services. 

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 04:56:29 PM »
The thing with me is that I don't even get interviews.  I am top 5 person at my school (T30), they either just shoot me a rejection letter or ignore my resume.  I thought it would be relatively easy to get a summer job with such good grades, but I am not at T14, so there is the problem.   

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »
The thing with me is that I don't even get interviews.  I am top 5 person at my school (T30), they either just shoot me a rejection letter or ignore my resume.  I thought it would be relatively easy to get a summer job with such good grades, but I am not at T14, so there is the problem.   

being outside the T14 is not a problem.  What Tier are you in?  Unless its T4, I don't think your school has anything to do with it.  Even if it is T4, you should be able to find a job.  I was in the Top 20% at a T4 last year and I got a paying job with a firm after only 1L.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »

being outside the T14 is not a problem.  What Tier are you in?  Unless its T4, I don't think your school has anything to do with it.  Even if it is T4, you should be able to find a job.  I was in the Top 20% at a T4 last year and I got a paying job with a firm after only 1L.

my school is top 30.  According to theory, I should at least get some reponses back.