Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what do 1L SA's do  (Read 1902 times)

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
what do 1L SA's do
« on: February 01, 2007, 08:32:09 PM »
Can anyone tell me what a normal day is like for a summer associate? I would love any input that u have if u have already done an internship.
Attending: OU

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: what do 1L SA's do
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
Well you do random research, you might write some motions or briefs and you will spend time in court.  Most 1Ls don't know what they are doing.  I know it sounds cruel, but they will keep you busy, and some places will put a lot on you, but you are very supervised.  Most of my days went from 8:30 to 5, and Fridays were from 8:30 to 3.  Not too bad.  But it is a great experience.  Have fun with it!

up_late

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 01:42:24 AM »
Research and writing are the primary substantive tasks.  Some of the work is very close to what you do in Legal Writing class.  You may also get to watch an attorney go to court, take a deposition, or close a deal, but those opportunities depend on what just happens to be going on and whether the attorneys know you really want to do that.

Big firms often have a lot of summer associates and do an elaborate "summer associate program."  Summer associates in those programs do research and writing, but they also spend a lot of time socializing (and drinking) with the attorneys and going to various presentations about the firm.  There are usually formal assignment and feedback systems.

Smaller firms might have just one or two summer associates with no structured program.  The assignments may be similar, but the amount of work could be much greater or much less than in a "summer associate program," and there are few if any social events or training sessions involved.

1L and 2L SA's do the same thing--2Ls can just handle more complex issues and more areas of law.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:26:39 AM »
Research and writing are the primary substantive tasks.  Some of the work is very close to what you do in Legal Writing class.  You may also get to watch an attorney go to court, take a deposition, or close a deal, but those opportunities depend on what just happens to be going on and whether the attorneys know you really want to do that.

Big firms often have a lot of summer associates and do an elaborate "summer associate program."  Summer associates in those programs do research and writing, but they also spend a lot of time socializing (and drinking) with the attorneys and going to various presentations about the firm.  There are usually formal assignment and feedback systems.

Smaller firms might have just one or two summer associates with no structured program.  The assignments may be similar, but the amount of work could be much greater or much less than in a "summer associate program," and there are few if any social events or training sessions involved.

1L and 2L SA's do the same thing--2Ls can just handle more complex issues and more areas of law.

In some states, 2Ls can get temporarily licensed to appear before the court with an attorney helping you out.  For instance in PA, if you have taken evidence and pro rep you can get a temp.  For instance, if you work for a DA's office, they will let you do pre-lims, some plea bargains and sometimes a small trial.  I knew a 2L last summer who spent the entire summer preparing for a trial that lasted all of 2 hours, but he won.  It was really cool.