Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1169 times)

1hell

• View Profile
What would you do?
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »
Okay, I am an idiot and lost my scholarship  :-\  I had to stay in the top third of my class to keep it, and I ended up right at the median.  Not really any chance of getting it back, says financial aid...

I go to a very expensive school ranked 40-60, that is well respected in the area.  However, if I stay here, it will cost be about 60k/year for the next two years.

I could also transfer down to a local state school - lower tier 2/tier 3ish school, fairly well respected in the area (although not nearly was well as the school I am at).  It would cost me about 15k/year for the next two years.

I have about 30k in undergrad debt, plus another 20k from living expenses for this year...

What would you do - stick it out and graduate with 160k/debt with somewhat better job prospects, or take my chances at the lower ranked school, and graduate with 80k/debt.

I know, kill self...but I don't want to drop out, I really do like law school and I do want to be a lawyer - my goal is to work at a mid-sized private firm, or possibly government/honors program.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »
Okay, I am an idiot and lost my scholarship  :-\  I had to stay in the top third of my class to keep it, and I ended up right at the median.  Not really any chance of getting it back, says financial aid...

I go to a very expensive school ranked 40-60, that is well respected in the area.  However, if I stay here, it will cost be about 60k/year for the next two years.

I could also transfer down to a local state school - lower tier 2/tier 3ish school, fairly well respected in the area (although not nearly was well as the school I am at).  It would cost me about 15k/year for the next two years.

I have about 30k in undergrad debt, plus another 20k from living expenses for this year...

What would you do - stick it out and graduate with 160k/debt with somewhat better job prospects, or take my chances at the lower ranked school, and graduate with 80k/debt.

I know, kill self...but I don't want to drop out, I really do like law school and I do want to be a lawyer - my goal is to work at a mid-sized private firm, or possibly government/honors program.

That's very strange and arbitrary that your school would revoke your scholarship after your first semester!  I have a full ride, but my school gives students a full year to get the requisite GPA.  I have to be in the top quarter, but right now I'm probably in the top three quarters :\, so I'm probably gonna wind up losing it.  And, as the previous poster said, you're not an idiot.  Many people lose their scholarships.  Whatever you do, don't drop out!  If you really want to be a lawyer stick it out.  You're at the median after your first semester, which is pretty darn good!

bigfatbox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
You might want to wait on your spring semester grades. Of course, you could submit the transfer app to the cheaper school and make a decision later depending on what your spring grades are.

Public perception notwithstanding, the job opportunities from a mid tier 2 school versus a lower tier 2/tier 3 school are not that different. With median grades, you won't qualify for on-campus interviews at either school, generally.

If you stay at the median at your school, the chances of making the big bucks right after graduation are probably nonexistent. Government honors programs generally don't hire median students at tier 2 schools. Even mid-size firms in your area probably only want to talk to students in the top 25% of the class or better.

Go to career services and ask for the OCI list from last year with grade/class ranking cutoffs if you don't believe me. You can do the same thing at the cheaper school.

If you stay at the median, you are probably going to have to network your tail off for a job. Many of your classmates in a similar position or worse probably won't get jobs until after they pass the bar.

Meet with your profs to go over exams, figure out what went wrong, and try to do better this semester regardless of what you end up doing.

Lastly, I don't think you should stick it out just because you like the school if money is an issue. If your grades don't improve, you might be better off going to the cheaper school if they will take you.

Good Luck.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »
Um... $60k. A year? Are you freaking kidding me. RUN the hell out of there!

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:04:35 PM »
I don't see how it could be 60k/year.  Are you in NYC?

1hell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »
I don't see how it could be 60k/year.  Are you in NYC?

No, not in NYC - tuition and living expenses this year were ~52k, so next year with the yearly tuition hike I am guessing 55k, and likley around 60k by my third year....ouch!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:36:07 PM »
So it goes up 3k this year, and then 5k next year?  That seems like a bit pessimistic to me.