Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm just here for the Westlaw & Lexis points.  (Read 2866 times)

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just here for the Westlaw & Lexis points.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:20:20 AM »
As I sit here in property class checking how many Lexis & Westlaw points I might tally up by graduation, I wonder what the best thing any law student has ever gotten with these points during the typical 3 years of law school.

Or, are there any hidden good deals in the Westlaw or Lexis shops?

I heard the 500 pt. Westlaw leather binder is a solid deal.

You can get the binder for free at the pre-Summer Associate research sessions -- you have to go to them anyway, so you might as well wait.

I spent 3600 points on an iron before I changed my account over to my new school.  It took forever to get here but it's sweet once every six months when I think about how free it was.

Yeah, I have no life.

Please tell me by iron, you mean a golf club.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 01:03:47 AM »
As I sit here in property class checking how many Lexis & Westlaw points I might tally up by graduation, I wonder what the best thing any law student has ever gotten with these points during the typical 3 years of law school.

Or, are there any hidden good deals in the Westlaw or Lexis shops?

I heard the 500 pt. Westlaw leather binder is a solid deal.

You can get the binder for free at the pre-Summer Associate research sessions -- you have to go to them anyway, so you might as well wait.

I want my free binder. Are the pre-summer associate research sessions done late in 2L? I haven't heard anything about them yet.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 07:17:10 AM »
I want my free binder. Are the pre-summer associate research sessions done late in 2L? I haven't heard anything about them yet.

Yeah, they start in April I think.  Don't get the WL binder, get one with your school's name on it.  Much swankier.

Please tell me by iron, you mean a golf club.

I'm a chick.  That's what we do.

I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 07:43:49 AM »

One of the mysteries of life revealed...I definitely thought you were a guy!   :D

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »

One of the mysteries of life revealed...I definitely thought you were a guy!   :D

Ditto.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 02:15:41 AM »
Not even a semester and a half in and I have already gotten the 2GB Ipod Nano from Lexis, and an Ipod charging/speaker port from Westlaw. Seems Lexis has really boosted their rewards, though I did notice that the prices of their Amazon stuff went up right after I got the Ipod.

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »
I got the westlaw leather binder thingy for interviews. Not bad. Mostly from searching the criminal records of people I know, heh.
'pumpkin
----------------------
Signed, Sealed Delivered: Albany
Hit the Road Jack:
Get it While You Can: Suffolk (Waitlisted/Withdrawn)
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind:Quinnipiac

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=schlin96

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »
I didn't think the law school WL package included the personal records databases.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 09:19:53 AM »
I got the westlaw leather binder thingy for interviews. Not bad. Mostly from searching the criminal records of people I know, heh.

How exactly do you do this.  I tried looking up public records before, but I think I'm doing something wrong.

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 01:06:07 PM »
lawschool.westlaw.com --> westlaw research --> directory (at the top --> litigation --> criminal records.

Can't get arrest records, but criminal records are there. I know someone who was just sentenced (January 31 2007) to 4mos prision in NYS, his record doesn't show up. But, a guy I know who did 2 years for a DUI in 96 shows up. So, I'm not sure how recent that is.

Then again, for most current crim records (at least for NYS) there's the Unified Court website that takes you to the timeline, etc.

You can find divorce proceedings and some other stuff under cases.
'pumpkin
----------------------
Signed, Sealed Delivered: Albany
Hit the Road Jack:
Get it While You Can: Suffolk (Waitlisted/Withdrawn)
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind:Quinnipiac

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=schlin96