Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm just here for the Westlaw & Lexis points.  (Read 2803 times)

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
I'm just here for the Westlaw & Lexis points.
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:17:26 PM »
As I sit here in property class checking how many Lexis & Westlaw points I might tally up by graduation, I wonder what the best thing any law student has ever gotten with these points during the typical 3 years of law school.

Or, are there any hidden good deals in the Westlaw or Lexis shops?

I heard the 500 pt. Westlaw leather binder is a solid deal.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just here for the Westlaw & Lexis points.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »
There is a legend at my school that some guy got a 54" flat-screen TV with Westlaw points. Not sure how that's possible. . .

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »
Probably not what you're dreaming of, but I got all my supplements for this semester plu $50 gift cards after racking up 7,000 points on the 2 sites combined.

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:29:36 PM »
Probably not what you're dreaming of, but I got all my supplements for this semester plu $50 gift cards after racking up 7,000 points on the 2 sites combined.

How on earth did you get 7,000 points?  I used Westalw for all my research and am still under 500 points.
3.7ish, 170+

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »
Play trivia. And ask your school rep for points -- couldn't hurt.

alocke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:40 PM »
Do all the training things-- usually they are like 15 min and you may get a free lunch.  Lexis is doing some at my school where she gave us 600 points for coming.  Also the online training and tip of the week for lexis is a great way for points to add up! 

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:15:36 PM »
I got 6,000 points last semester.  I want to get an Ipod.  The effort really was minimal. 

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »
I think Lexis said that this semester is worth over 7000. An ipod would be nice.

I came close to 7000 last semester on Lexis, maybe 4300 or so on Westlaw. I'm hoping to have enough for a textbook on Westlaw by the start of next year.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 10:47:21 PM »
I've spent 3100 Lexis points.

I got 10 itunes songs, $10 starbucks card, and the Dressler Crim Law Supplement.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »
As I sit here in property class checking how many Lexis & Westlaw points I might tally up by graduation, I wonder what the best thing any law student has ever gotten with these points during the typical 3 years of law school.

Or, are there any hidden good deals in the Westlaw or Lexis shops?

I heard the 500 pt. Westlaw leather binder is a solid deal.

You can get the binder for free at the pre-Summer Associate research sessions -- you have to go to them anyway, so you might as well wait.

I spent 3600 points on an iron before I changed my account over to my new school.  It took forever to get here but it's sweet once every six months when I think about how free it was.

Yeah, I have no life.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.