Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOVUS LAW SCHOOL?  (Read 73297 times)

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NOVUS LAW SCHOOL?
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
Indeed I am.  Name a state.  Please.  Vague generalizations are cheap. 

Show me how to be as informed as you.  Please. Which states have apprenticed lawyers, physicians, dentist and other professionals? 

I think, you might not know what "apprenticed" means and that it was the predominate pre-20th century system for professionals.  Crazy antiquated. Apprenticed lawyers, were apprenticed- meaning the didn't go to school for law or even undergrad.  CA allows it (kind of), what others do? 

I want to be you.  Just a nicer you.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2011, 02:12:31 AM »
California, Vermont, Virginia and Washington: no law school required before beginning apprenticeship, aka "reading the law."
New York: one year of law school prior to beginning apprenticeship.
Maine: two years of law school prior to beginning apprenticeship.

That should be a good enough starting point to check their bar association pages and confirm.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2011, 05:31:42 AM »
Really? Kudos IrrX.  I didn't know that.  Funny how it took you 3 sentences to say what that d-bag has been trying to say for 3 pages filled with mostly insults.

Do people still do the apprenticeships? Can't say I have ever heard of it being done, at least since the 19th century.

Thanks, man
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
I don't personally know anyone who has, but the option exists if someone wants to. The trick is finding a lawyer who's willing to put in the kind of effort it takes to get someone through an apprenticeship and pass the bar. I imagine it would take a lot to convince someone to do it, or an already close connection.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

justanothersucker

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
Yes, your laziness to look it up on your own makes others pathetic.
A lifer had to come in and spoon it feed it to you. Yet to you, that somehow makes you awsome.
Your mom must love putting your pants on you each day.

quote author=fortook link=topic=3006286.msg5395662#msg5395662 date=1319016702]
Really? Kudos IrrX.  I didn't know that.  Funny how it took you 3 sentences to say what that d-bag has been trying to say for 3 pages filled with mostly insults.

Do people still do the apprenticeships? Can't say I have ever heard of it being done, at least since the 19th century.

Thanks, man
[/quote]

Swede1

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »
I have never met a practicing attorney who went to an online school.  Does anyone here know one?  I think I read an article once where the attorney on record for some case went to California School of Law, but never personally met any online law school grad attorney.

There are quite a few practicing in California.  ED Denson (used to manage Country Joe and the Fish) got his degree from Taft, and he is a practicing defense attorney in California.  Granted, it wasn't online when he did it, it was still actual correspondence, but it should still count I think.

justanothersucker

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
Correspondence should count even more to show it can be done. At least online there is chatrooms,skipe,emails,PMs,etc.

Correspondence you are hanging mostly on your own. Those who can make it to the finish line that way and make a living in the field, have my full respect. Good for him.