Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOVUS LAW SCHOOL?  (Read 73628 times)

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
Re: NOVUS LAW SCHOOL?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 11:51:49 PM »
I find it to be somewhat suspicious that many of the people that seem to be posting their personal success stories, or otherwise attempting to dispel the rumors (whether truthful or not) have very few posts on this site. I also find it suspicious that the following information does not appear to be readily available on the website:

1. What percentage of Novus JD grads are permitted to sit for the bar exam in California, Maine, NY, Vermont, Washington, or Wyoming? Of those grads permitted to sit for the bar exams in those respective states, what is the general passage rate for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd time takers?

2. Tantamount to #1, some states that will you to sit for a bar exam upon taking 26 credits at an ABA approved school or by pursuing an LLM at an ABA approved school. What percentage of those students that pursue this opportunity are admitted to an ABA school? What are some of these schools? What are the average costs these students incur in pursuing either the 26 credits or the LLM?

3. Of those students who seek an education from Novus as a supplement to their existing careers, what percentage of those students have received salary increases/raises as a result of completing the JD program through Novus within the first 1-3 years?

4. Of the numerous administrative/government agencies listed on the following website (http://www.novuscatalog.org/alegaledu.html), how many of them are in higher policy making positions as opposed to administrative/secretarial positions?

5. What percentage of Novus alums have salaries approaching the $70K Doctorate Degree and $81K Professional Degree figures listed on the following website: http://www.novuscatalog.org/laborstats.htm

6. For those who have obtained JD's and are bar admitted, or permitted to practice under the supervision of other attorneys...do you have a list of law firms where these alums are currently employed?

I could come up with at least 20 more questions designed to elicit important information that should be considered before deciding to attend any school. To give my initial impression, I think it's somewhat deceptive that the Novus website focuses upon what you can hypothetically do with a degree from Novus (become bar admitted, obtain $70K/$81K salaries, laundry list of government agencies, etc) but fails to reflect upon what actual Novus grads are currently doing with their degrees (bar passage rates, mean salaries of grads, etc). If my goal was to really push distance learning as a practical and worthwhile alternative to attending a traditional law school, then this type of information is worth gathering for many obvious reasons.

MAF

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2008, 07:39:53 AM »
This is my first post to this site. Nevertheless, I have been desiring to become an attorney since I was in undergraduate school. Yet, I don't have the most positive background record and it is for this reason that I have never taken the LSAT and applied to an ABA law school. I have,however, contacted state bar associations to determine if I could someday reach my dream of becoming an attorney. The most difficult step is gaining acceptance to an ABA law school followed by providing proof that I have a good moral character beyond my troubled past. The latter is easy because I have degree's and references which would help prove that I have since remained a decent moral person for the past 11 years.

Despite the struggle to just hold down a decent job, which I haven't been able to find even with a bachelors degree, I determined that school/education was my best chance of providing a solid record that people can change even if people aren't willing to give me a chance. So, I learned a hard lesson when I graduated with a Bachelors degree and found that finding a decent paying job who would be like searching for a needle in a hay stack. I needed to obtain a Professional Degree that would allow me to someday start my own company with just a few years experience. The Professional degree would put me in a category that most people cannot apply for. For instance, you will not find an ex-housekeeper applying for a Jr. Staff Accountants position. Even if the person did, unless that person has a professional degree, their application will not even be considered for the position because they don't meet the qualification. I do understand that my background could be cause for rejection. But, I also understand that if I obtain a professional degree which the major is in demand, at some point, I'll find someone willing to give me a chance.

Currently, I work part time doing jobs that someone with a Bachelors degree would never think they should have to do. There are 15 and 16 year old girls and boys working at WalMart making more money than I do. I don't complain because a job is better than having no job. I do, however, continue to educate myself. I'm also a graduate student working on my Master's degree in Accounting and Finance. In the next 5 years, I plan to take the CPA exam. Even with the CPA exam, I'll have to prove that I am of moral fitness. No worries here. I've done my homework and I don't think I will have too much of a struggle though I do expect to have a difficult time proving myself. As long as it's not impossible, there's still a chance that I can make it happen. By the way, that's my motto, "Make it Happen." Finding people that will give me a chance is difficult, so, I'll make it happen that they will give me a chance.

My point in telling my story is that DL law school sometimes provides opportunities for those that ABA law schools would never allow someone like me to reach. Yet, the problem is that unless you attend an DL law school with a current job related to the legal field, you would find it more difficult to obtain work as a JD with a DL law degree than a JD from an accredited ABA law school on the lowest tier level.

So, for me, I've decided not to attend any DL law for now. My focus is on completing my Master's degree in Accounting and Finance, obtaining a job as a Jr. Staff Accountant, study for the CPA exam, pass the CPA exam, obtain a position as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and then begin my process of taking the LSAT and applying to Law schools. If at that point in my life I've been turned down from ABA Law schools because of my past record, then and only then would I apply to a DL law school. Thus, the DL law school degree is a back door entrance into the legal field.

Nevertheless, I'm going to be a finance attorney someday. I'm going to make it happen. I'm  not going to sit and wait for it to come to me and I'm not going to allow rejection to steer me off my path. I've come this far and its no turning back for me. If at some point, I have to attend Novus Law School because no ABA law school is willing to recognize my accomplishment beyond my trouble past, then so be it as long as it the path that leads to me reaching my dreams of being a finance attorney someday. As my mother told me, "You just made the ride a lot bumpier than most people experience, but it doesn't mean you cannot arrive at the same destination, albeit shaken but not stirred."

SW-likesLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 03:47:18 AM »
Hi everyone

I am enrolled at Novus University “Novus Law School” since July 2008 which is a non accredited online Law school.

I have a full time job oversees and really want to study law or I better say I like to study towards my JD degree……

Novus is some sort of inexpensive, monthly small $ amount, no classroom attendance and most important in my case I can study on my own speed level.

First I thought, well, that’s with limitation, however, you as each individual has to make the decision, but as I mentioned I am totally satisfied and who knows about changes “ABA” in the future. And one more to keep in mind:

There are many different ways to reach a final destination.

By the way, I sometimes think it would be great being in a study group to solve issues and whatsoever could help….. Any suggestions or study groups who would adopt an online Law student from Novus??

Greetings from Munich Germany,

dle

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2009, 03:28:09 AM »
Hi!

I have created a topic for all students of Novus Law School at this URL: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4018736.0.html, so I encourage everyone posts your questions and your experiences in here.

gemhotline

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »
I have been a student at Novus Law School for about 18 months. I don't plan on taking the bar and just want to learn the discipline of law, use it in my job as director of a background screening company, and generally challenge myself. It really is self study with very little academic support. I don't understand some of the grades that are given and when I challenge them, the response seems as if they have not read my essays. I am almost done and have waited for my last grade for over a month. I am growing concerned that they may have gone belly-up. They don't answer my emails or phone calls. Does anyone know anything?

dle

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2009, 03:28:43 AM »
I have been a student at Novus Law School for about 18 months. I don't plan on taking the bar and just want to learn the discipline of law, use it in my job as director of a background screening company, and generally challenge myself. It really is self study with very little academic support. I don't understand some of the grades that are given and when I challenge them, the response seems as if they have not read my essays. I am almost done and have waited for my last grade for over a month. I am growing concerned that they may have gone belly-up. They don't answer my emails or phone calls. Does anyone know anything?

Hi gemhotline,

I am a student at Novus too, but I do not have much experiences to help you for this. I think you can contact their student service at phone number 818-392-8260 or email student@nulaw.org.

Hope this helps.

--
D.L

Content1az

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »
Let me give an example of the scam it is.   I signed up but was unable to continue and tried to withdraw.  First, they make you sign a notarized form that you must mail to withdraw.   After 2 weekss, I wrote to ask if they had received it.  They had never said what they said in repsonse until now of the "Non-refundable" nature of the registration.  they wrote "

Student Degree Level:  Juris Doctor
Student Degree Major:  Law
Date of Enrollment:       August 2, 2008
Term for Enrollment:      Fall 2008 – August 25, 2008
Period for Enrollment:  2 years – 08/25/08 â– 08/25/10

Dear Student,

Novus has an established refund policy for students who withdrawal from their studies. Withdrawal is based upon fairness to the student and nationally accepted refund policies. At Novus tuition is for a degree term and that term is 24 Months for Juris Doctor studies. A withdrawal fee of $300.00 is charged and all other tuition is refunded according to a sliding scale up to 30 days after the registration date, after 30 days, NO Refund is granted.

This policy is a Novus policy and most every other private or state university has a similar policy as to refunds. If a student registered for a semester term at resident school they must withdraw within the withdrawal period to be eligible for a refund, and whether they complete the term or not they are obligated to pay for the term registered. If the student has received a student loan or financing they are obligated to pay the loan whether they complete the term or not, if they withdraw after the refund period.

When you registered for the program your tuition was charged in full. You signed your Student Orientation Form and your student materials were sent to you. Your faxed withdrawal was received on July 15, 2009 for a period of 11 months in the program. Your refund due is none and your balance owed for tuition financed and unreturned Text Books is: $7229.51 + $300.00 Withdrawal fee = total due to Novus: $7529.51

These policies are outlined, as required, in the official Novus online catalog website, and student manual. You signed the Student Orientation Form stating that you read and understood these policies and procedures.

Students who withdraw and fail to pay finance fees and tuition balances will be placed in financial default and reported to all appropriate credit reporting agencies as a default on student financing and legal collection procedures will be utilized to collect tuition balances including legal action with attorney’s fees. Please make payment in full or please contact the Law School at student@nulaw.org to make payment arrangements to pay your remaining balance due with in ten days from date of this letter

Thank you,
T. Booker
Finance Dept.
Novus

This was all news to me.   In addition, the degree is a vanity one, that you still must apprentice with an attorney or a judge which requires no schooling anyway.   So I wrote back:

This is beginning to look like a scam, so let me get this straight, I have paid over a thousands to you, and short of 3 books valued about $135, you are now saying I owe you  $7,521!   Do remember, I read a few things before I withdrew and I will do some reporting too.  To the corporations commission, etc.; as in my case, this is so unreasonable as to shock the conscience.   Luckily, I do have access to attorneys at my work and will fight this.   

Remember, I have been to accredited law schools and they did not try to pull this one.   Add to the fact your degree does not even entitle you to take the bar without getting experience like working for a judge for attorney, at most it is a vanity degree, or else you would obtain certification.   I stand ready to fight you every step of the way.   In the accredited law school I attended, University of La Verne, I was top of my class in contracts.   Good chance to fight this and practice my skills.

I did keep all the materials you sent, since it was all by email, and I will go carefully over it and give you my opinion.   I was never asking for a refund of what had been paid, but I will make an offer to settle now for ending this for what has been paid as liquidated damages.   Should you persist in this claim I will go for a full refund.  You inflexibility gives a person no other choice.

You never mentioned if you received the notarized withdrawl.  By your new claim I can assume you are on notice.

so to answer your question, yes, it is a scam.

lawrookie

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
That plus is in many states(such as Texas) it is ILLEGAL to use an unaccredited degree. They literally are asking people to committ a crime by allowing the to enroll in those states. I'm suprised the federal govt dosnt view that as a crime against states lines and send the FBI in to shut them down and put those in charge of it in federal prison.

Ladylaw2009

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2009, 01:28:37 PM »
I was just reading the online broshure for this law school, I am confused, are you allowed to sit for the Florida Bar yes or no? Is this an acredited school? I would really appreciate any feed back of anyone with information about this. Thanks have a great day  :-\

lawrookie

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
it's not able to sit any bar and is not accredited by anyone. In many ways it is illegal.