Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: State Supreme Court Internship  (Read 1179 times)

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
State Supreme Court Internship
« on: January 30, 2007, 08:42:58 PM »
Are these as impressive as 1L internships with federal judges?  Would you take one over a paying firm job?

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: State Supreme Court Internship
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:15:14 PM »
Are these as impressive as 1L internships with federal judges?  Would you take one over a paying firm job?

Depends on if its a big firm job or a small firm job.  I would probably go with the big firm job in a heartbeat.  I would probably benefit more from a state supreme court internship as opposed to a small firm gig.

dorsia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:24:36 PM »
Pesonally, I think that a state supreme court internship after your first year in law school is one of the best things that you can do.  Yes, some first-year students get jobs in large firms, but you will have that opportunity after your second year.  Moreover, it is after your second year in law school that you will want to work as a summer associate in order to secure a job after graduation.  Getting experience in a big firm after your first year won't help you too much in gaining a summer associate position. 

A supreme court internship is good for other reasons as well.  It is presigious.  It is a unique experience, one that you may not have again.  As with other fields, future employers like to hire people with varying backgrounds; lawyers like to have people who know and have worked with certain judges.  Best, it will give you something to talk about that would distinguish yourself from others with whom you will compete for jobs during OCI. 

There is nothing wrong with working for a large firm.  The time to do so, however, is after your second year.  I would go with the state supreme court internship.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:48 PM »
I agree with dorsia!  Nice post!

up_late

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:59:10 AM »
Depends how much money we're talking about.