Law School Discussion

reason to stay in law school if got GPA much less than 3 first semester?

yeah, it sucks.
And yes, I can find reasons such as I'm an international student and it was the first semester for me in U.S. But they are useless.

But is there any reason for me to stay in law school? Is there any chances I could do better in next semester and finally find a job not too bad if I got three C in first semester? Don't tell me I need to get all A in second semester. It's impossible for me.

TDJD84

• View Profile
Re: reason to stay in law school if got GPA much less than 3 first semester?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »
You stand a good chance of doing much better next semester... if you learned/ corrected the study habits that lead up to your C's... if not, I suggest going over your grades with the teacher, and finding out where you lost points.  Ask the tutors in your class (if your school does that), for some help and tips.
What kind of work would you enjoy doing when you graduate?

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:25:10 PM »
In the past I want to work in a big law firm. But now, I realized maybe it's out of reach...
BTW, I'm in a top ten law school now. Would that be helpful?
I'm still looking for summer intern. Do I need to send them addendum to explain for my horrible GPA?
Sorry for nonsense babbling, I'm just so upset.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:10:16 PM »
I'd recommend speaking to the professors about your exams to find out what you did wrong. Go speak to your student services to see what they can offer in terms of support. As an international/ESL student, you may have different problems than the typical student for which the school has resources that it can help you. I imagine as you stay in the US longer, you will improve anyway. Getting a C as an international student at a top school is nothing to be ashamed of. I am sure there are some multi-national firms that need people with fluency in certain languages and if you can really sell that skill, you'll be valuable.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »
Thanks for advice. I would try to talk with our assistant Dean. BTW, does anybody know any law school who will give some extra time to international students who didn't receive education in U.S. before and English is not his/her first language? I heard Northwestern has such a policy. Don't know if any other law school has similar thing.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »
Thanks for advice. I would try to talk with our assistant Dean. BTW, does anybody know any law school who will give some extra time to international students who didn't receive education in U.S. before and English is not his/her first language? I heard Northwestern has such a policy. Don't know if any other law school has similar thing.

That's something you'll want to bring up with your assistant dean. In addition, you may want to talk to LLM students to see whether they have any additional advice or tips that could be helpful for international students.

Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 06:48:51 PM »
This is a joke for pre-law board converts only.

Julie Fern?

rev

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
This is a joke for pre-law board converts only.

Julie Fern?

putz

:D :D :D

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 08:48:30 PM »
Well, I don't think it's a joke.

rev

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 08:45:40 AM »
Well, I don't think it's a joke.

it has nothing to do with you or your situation.  refers to another poster on the kiddie board.  dont worry about it.