Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra Housing  (Read 7095 times)

azlaw01

• View Profile
Hofstra Housing
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:13:19 PM »
Hi all,

I'm visiting Hofstra for the open house deal March 25th. I have received very little information online and via email about housing so I'm wondering if anyone here can be helpful.

I don't plan on bringing a vehicle to cut back on expenses. Is there safe (and decent) off campus housing within walking distance for the Law Building? If not, is the dorm situation suitable to a law student? What would be the best dorm to get into? How big are the rooms? Are there practical study areas (quiet) inside the dorms? Are there any decent food/dining/bars within walking distance of campus?

I've been informed via email it's very difficult to get a single room if you're a 1L, so if there are any out there interested in a possible roommate situation in a dorm, let me know. I had an unfortunate undergrad experience with not knowing my freshman roommate before hand...and that did not go so well.

Thanks for the help.

Rpcro25

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hofstra Housing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:34:30 PM »
Hey I went to Hofsra undergrad and am applying to the law school as well. The surrounding area is not the nicest although there are pockets of decent off campus housing available. As far as not having a car, I would not recommend this as hardly anything is within walking distance. Im pretty sure they have a dormitory hall just for the law school that I heard was pretty nice (suite style). I had a car there for four years and really dont know if one would be able to survive without one. Very little public transportation in the area. Let me know if you have any more questions. When were you admitted? Im still waiting to hear!!

dresblues

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »
Hello,
    I got my acceptance on Saturday the 27th of Jan. Of course I am not decided yet, nor do I know if I would relocate to a residence closer to campus, stay in the dorms, or just commute from where I currently live. However, I do know that they have dorms that are specifically for law/grad students, this stuff is on Hofstras website, go read about the new building and other dorm situations.

Best bet would be to live on campus and not have a car. Its cheaper to live on campus, closer obviously, and you can save the expense and hassle of having a car anyway, don't forget that traffic on LI is enough to avoid vehicle transportation if you have that option. They have a bus that runs back and fourth from campus to the local train station where you can catch the train to eastern LI or to Manhattan.

I didn't get much info either, however, as I said before it is all available on thier website.

gypsylover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
Avoid Twin Oaks! It's rundown and dilapidated, as well as being in a very bad neighborhood.