Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bottom Half of Class-Job Opportunities?  (Read 3582 times)

tenth8sphere

Re: Bottom Half of Class-Job Opportunities?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »
Sure, its a great opportunity if you can afford not to get paid. But why the hell would you want to do that?

I thought working for ANY judge was a great summer opportunity?

Working for judges, I thought, was one of the best experiences you could get. To set you up for a clerkship down the road, or even when applying for firms. Who cares if you get paid for 2 months? Am I wrong???

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 07:26:46 PM »
Externing for a judge is a great experience.  Highly recommend it.  If you're concerned about job opportunities in the future with your current grades, your best attack strategy is to, as others have advised, do all things necessary to work on raising your current GPA and in the meanwhile look into working for a judge. I suggest a Federal Judge if you want to go into Biglaw.  A judge will not only increase your research and writing skills, but they will also be able to put you in contact with many other employment opportunities. 

Good luck.
Burning Sands

correguachin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 12:42:48 AM »
So after one semester, I'm in the bottom half of my class :(.  Though I don't intend to stay down there, I just wanted to know what would my job opportunities would be if my situation did not improve.  I go to a pretty high T2 in the NYC area.  And I know big firms are definitely out of the question.

I feel for you, man.  I got slammed today getting back a grade.  Serious "stuff".  My last resort is to show up at some big firm in my suit and try to blend in.  Maybe go sit down at someone's desk and hope no one notices.  Hell, maybe they'll just start giving me work to do.  Follow the crowd, you know?  Kramer pulled it off in a Seinfeld episode.  I can just see the moment though when they figure out.  Some attorney is going to call me into his/her office and try to fire me because my memos are crap and I've run up a $800 tab on Lexis.  Hahaha.  At least I'll have the last laugh and something to write on my resume.

Hope that helps.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 01:34:26 AM »

I feel for you, man.  I got slammed today getting back a grade.  Serious "stuff".  My last resort is to show up at some big firm in my suit and try to blend in.  Maybe go sit down at someone's desk and hope no one notices.  Hell, maybe they'll just start giving me work to do.  Follow the crowd, you know?  Kramer pulled it off in a Seinfeld episode.  I can just see the moment though when they figure out.  Some attorney is going to call me into his/her office and try to fire me because my memos are crap and I've run up a $800 tab on Lexis.  Hahaha.  At least I'll have the last laugh and something to write on my resume.

Hope that helps.

Haha, that was a great episode.  Good luck trying to blend in, I think I might try to do the same.

correguachin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »
they'll probably catch me with my cheap suit..  or they'll just look at me and know that i am some goon bumming for a job.. hahaha, i bet i don't have that biglaw glow..

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 12:45:52 PM »
i intend to do this at a large company, and then go to the payroll office and demand to know why my check is late

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 12:50:34 AM »
That is exactly how I got my last job.  At the end of the interview, I just said, "See you at 9:00 am on Monday".  Surprisingly, he agreed.  When I got there the following Monday, he asked "How much am I paying you?"  I named a figure that was much higher than I thought I deserved, and he agreed to it!  Maybe I will show up at SCOTUS and try the same thing!

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 08:22:21 AM »
Externing for a judge is a great experience.  Highly recommend it.  If you're concerned about job opportunities in the future with your current grades, your best attack strategy is to, as others have advised, do all things necessary to work on raising your current GPA and in the meanwhile look into working for a judge. I suggest a Federal Judge if you want to go into Biglaw.  A judge will not only increase your research and writing skills, but they will also be able to put you in contact with many other employment opportunities. 

Good luck.

The man, the myth, the legend.

P.S. This is Bubazzz
check the footnotes ya'll