Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decided to quit LS.  (Read 5442 times)

patent

• View Profile
Re: Decided to quit LS.
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 05:23:43 PM »
Bottom line here:  If your only reason for going to law school was the money, then please do everyone a favor and leave now.  The law has a bad enough reputation as it is, partly because so many people see it as nothing more than a cash cow.

I'd suggest you find something to do that you're passionate about, but it might not pay enough.  So I'll refrain, and simply say, "good luck."

I wouldn't be so quick to bash people who are in the law for the money.  If you're coming out of school with six figures of debt, things can get pretty uncomfortable if you're only making $45,000.  Money should matter to some extent.  I'm not saying it's everything, but a crappy salary and six figures of debt definitely matters.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 05:28:48 PM »
Bottom line here:  If your only reason for going to law school was the money, then please do everyone a favor and leave now.  The law has a bad enough reputation as it is, partly because so many people see it as nothing more than a cash cow.

I'd suggest you find something to do that you're passionate about, but it might not pay enough.  So I'll refrain, and simply say, "good luck."

I wouldn't be so quick to bash people who are in the law for the money.  If you're coming out of school with six figures of debt, things can get pretty uncomfortable if you're only making $45,000.  Money should matter to some extent.  I'm not saying it's everything, but a crappy salary and six figures of debt definitely matters.

I wasn't bashing people who are concerned about money.  I'm coming out of school with 6 figure debt, and will be working for a firm for a while to pay it off.

My point was that if money was the ONLY reason, then the OP should just leave.  So let's try this again:

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »
With a degree in Engineering you earning will far outstrip the average from a tier 4 law school.  You should not even be in law school except (1) you really love law, or (2) you are getting a fullride. 

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2007, 06:52:34 PM »

And if you don't get "in the law" then paying off law school loans isn't an issue.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »
Because you have an engineering background, you could become a patent agent.  It only costs $400 to take the exam.  Some law firms hire engineers/scientists as technical advisors as they study/learn patent prosecution.  They may allow you to work part time while going to law school and even pay for tuition.  This may be a good way to test the legal waters because practicing law is very different from law school.
3.7ish, 170+

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »
Yeah, but what do you do when you realize you're not a "top 20%" engineer?  I guess you'll have to follow suit and drop that as well. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2007, 07:49:18 PM »

What happens when his kids aren't "top 20%" soccer players? I guess he'll have to follow suit and drop them as well.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2007, 08:50:55 PM »
Yeah, but what do you do when you realize you're not a "top 20%" engineer?  I guess you'll have to follow suit and drop that as well. 

Wrong.  Even bottom ranking engineers get decent paying job, I would guess around 40k for the very bottom guy, and that is with only a BSE degree.  Bottom ranking JDs from T4 is not going to get crap, and it is really tough to convince an engineering company to hire you back as an engineer after you have wasted 3 years at law school. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
Why such an ass in all your posts if you go to Yale? Don't you have better things to do like not getting real grades and pretending you're better than everyone else?

Wrong.  Even bottom ranking engineers get decent paying job, I would guess around 40k for the very bottom guy, and that is with only a BSE degree.  Bottom ranking JDs from T4 is not going to get crap, and it is really tough to convince an engineering company to hire you back as an engineer after you have wasted 3 years at law school. 

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2007, 10:13:09 PM »

Noblesse oblige.  A little humility never hurt anyone.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.