Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decided to quit LS.  (Read 5390 times)

wakaranai

• View Profile
Re: Decided to quit LS.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
To the OP- As a part time student, you are in a great position to get your grades up by the end of 1L. You're in the middle 50%, and generally speaking people's grades within that range are close enough that it's not impossible to move up quite a bit by doing well in the second semester or go down a lot by doing poorly. Since you have more than 1/2 of your 1L classes left to go, this is even more the case for you. A lot of people with horrible GPAs first semester go on to do quite well. Give it at least another semester and if it doesn't work out then you can leave.

proletariat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »
Median starting salary at my school is around 45k.  Let's say I luck out and make 55k.  In 3.5 years I expect to be making around 66k at my current job.  That's a 11k pay cut from day one, plus the 12k virtual pay cut from loans.  Starting out with a 23k pay cut 3.5 years from now, when I'm in my thirties, paying a mortgage, and buying shoes for my kid(s) doesn't seem like the most fiscally responsible course of action.  This is the only reason I plan to quit.  If money was no object, I would love to stay in school, but I can't afford to chase an ideal.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »

I'm thinking an executive MBA program is in my future. ;D

well of course.  seeing as how you are handling your j.d. situation so well, an MBA seems very logical.
pudding is delightful

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 11:18:42 AM »
You're missing the statistics here.  The median starting salaries at T4 schools are low because it is difficult to get BIGLAW jobs without the school reputation behind you.  Thus, many grads begin their careers in Public Defender/Prosecutor's offices or at small law firms.  Just because starting salary is 45k doesn't mean it will only rise incrementally.

After that first job, many students will go on to make much more money than 45k.  You are near the top of the class.  If this 45k worries you so much now, why weren't you thinking about this before you came to law school.  It's not as if you've performed poorly by any means.

Also, have you considered transferring to a higher ranked school?  If you do slightly better this semester, you have a great shot at a T2 LS and a decent shot at a T1

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 11:37:39 AM »

well of course.  seeing as how you are handling your j.d. situation so well, an MBA seems very logical.

Excellent Point!

And a year into the MBA program when he decides to withdraw because he doesn't like group projects, was picked last for kick-ball, etc.... there's always the option of repeating the 3rd grade.  This fits well into the pattern that has been developing (JD-3years, MBA-2yrs, 3rd Grade-1year).  At this point you will notice that your kick-ball skills have improved drastically, which is great news! However, the kids will likely make fun of your size, which will lead to the inevitable withdrawal after 5 weeks. 

At this point, let's go crazy and go straight for the MD!! Why pass up the opportunity to take out more loans while at the same time participating in the most prestigious degree out there?!?  Plus, this decision seems inevitable - Recall the pattern (JD-3 years, MBA-2years, 3rd grade-1 year ... 3+2+3rdgrade= 8 year MD program (My logic is flawless, you were an engineer - proof this to make sure it is right)). The sky is the limit at this point... destiny has led you down a long road to your rightful path.
pudding is delightful

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
I wish there were more students at my school that would drop out because top 1/3 is not good enough. 

This has to be a flame.

If not, I'm going to have to go with brewha on this one.   

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 02:05:06 PM »
I do not believe it is a flame. It's the worse kind of troll.... a sympathy troll. The expectation is that others will post messages of encouragement, telling him he just needs to study harder, it will get better, CivPro was a raw deal, his LSAT scores show he's talented, etc. But you know what? That's for the pre-law board.

Quit yer blubberin'. Or give up. Quit. You knew the game going in. You are not a unique or beautiful snowflake. The world does not owe you any favors. You think the 65% of the class below you wants to hear yer bitching?

If your old job is so good, with such exciting career prospects, then why the hell are you in law school? If this is how you handle adversity, how are you going to handle a real tough law job (one that will supposedly pay you that fantastical salary that you hope to be granted). You're obviously not in this for the love of the law, so maybe you should get out now. 'Cuz if you're just in it for the money, there are better ways to get it than a T4 law school if you're going to spend three years whining about the unfairness of it all.

*this is called tough love*

vaplaugh

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
Do you not have a scholarship at your T4 with a 160 average LSAT?  Why are you having to take out loans?

proletariat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »
Do you not have a scholarship at your T4 with a 160 average LSAT?  Why are you having to take out loans?

They are the only evening division in town, i.e. they don't have to give away scholarships.  I did get an, albeit small, scholarship to the other local daytime 3rd tier law school, but have to keep my day job.

Meh.  Believe it or don't.  I'm not looking for sympathy.  I guess I was looking for some compelling reason not to quit, but haven't heard one yet.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 03:01:24 PM »

Excellent Point!

And a year into the MBA program when he decides to withdraw because he doesn't like group projects, was picked last for kick-ball, etc.... there's always the option of repeating the 3rd grade.  This fits well into the pattern that has been developing (JD-3years, MBA-2yrs, 3rd Grade-1year).  At this point you will notice that your kick-ball skills have improved drastically, which is great news! However, the kids will likely make fun of your size, which will lead to the inevitable withdrawal after 5 weeks. 

At this point, let's go crazy and go straight for the MD!! Why pass up the opportunity to take out more loans while at the same time participating in the most prestigious degree out there?!?  Plus, this decision seems inevitable - Recall the pattern (JD-3 years, MBA-2years, 3rd grade-1 year ... 3+2+3rdgrade= 8 year MD program (My logic is flawless, you were an engineer - proof this to make sure it is right)). The sky is the limit at this point... destiny has led you down a long road to your rightful path.

I wish there were more students at my school that would drop out because top 1/3 is not good enough. 

This has to be a flame.

If not, I'm going to have to go with brewha on this one.  

If I can reach even one person, my work is worth it.
pudding is delightful