Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Plans? What is best...?  (Read 538 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Summer Plans? What is best...?
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »
I am starting to plan for my summer after 1L... was wondering if I could get some insight on what looks best for the good ol' resume...

I am debating between

A) A Judicial Externship with a Federal District Judge

B) Research Assistant position with professor at the Law School

C) Small to mid-size firm

I know my 2L summer I will attempt a big firm associatship, but I know the first summer is all about attaining experience. So what is my best route here. I have been told a federal externship is pretty impressive compared to a normal state superior court judge, but I still do not know which route is best to take...

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Plans? What is best...?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:24:49 AM »
Federal externship would probably give you good experience and lots to talk about.  A small or mid-sized firm would come next.

If you don't get a paid job, I'd consider finding a PT research position for some cash.  I worked a FT job at the DA's office last summer, and then an additional 10-15 hours with a professor.  It kind of sucked, but I made a little cash, and now have a great relationship with a professor who will recommend me for anything.  If you have any interest in clerking, these faculty contacts are an absolute necessity.

If you're choosing between them though, I'd put the RA position as a last choice among the others.

dorsia

• View Profile
Re: Summer Plans? What is best...?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:20:51 PM »
Because you can do choice B at any time, and because you will try to do choice C after your second year, you should consider doing choice A.