Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 10%??  (Read 1608 times)

boardinglawyer00

• View Profile
Top 10%??
« on: January 20, 2007, 10:57:28 PM »
Hello all,

I just got all my grades for the first semester, I did great in all my substantive classes, but my school calculates LR&W in the GPA and I didnt do so well in that class  >:( or  :'( .

I have a 3.69 gpa, and the school grades on a mandatory curve somewhere between 2.90 or 3.0.  I was wondering if someone could tell me if I have a good shot at the top 10%? Also, for transfering purposes will it hurt me or help me that I did good in (Crim, torts, Civ, K) and not so good in LR&W?

Any comments would be appreciated!!   ;D

Lucero

• View Profile
Re: Top 10%??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
My school does the same 2.9-3.1 curve and 3.7ish was top 10% so you're looking pretty good. Since most  firms don't have a hard cutoff for interviews at top 10% (from my experience its usually top 20% for the big firms, but of course that could just be my school), it won't matter if you are just outside for getting interviews.

boardinglawyer00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »
Lucero, where does your law school rank in at? I am currently at a tier 3 law school, and I have been told by 2L's and 3L's that the CSO cares mostly about the top 10% and the rest are left to fend for themselves.

Thanks

GA-fan

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »
CSO at my school tends to cater to the median to 75th%ile students- they have the mistaken idea if you have good grades, you don't need their help to find a job... Also, not to pick on them too much (they're really not that bad), but they seem to give generic advice that I could just as easily find on any job site online. Yes, I know my resume shouldn't have typos... and that I should network instead of relying on OCI to find a job...

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:02:23 AM »
Do a good, thorough search of your school's website.  They might list last years brackets.
Don't Panic

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:22:29 AM »
You have a great shot at that sort of curve.  I doubt that most schools will care that you did worse in LR&W, especially if the school doesn't grade it anyway.

boardinglawyer00

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the information. I had checked NALP before I posted, but my school changed its entire first year requirements as well as the mandatory curve last year, so NALP doesnt have the statistics.  I just wanted to get a rough idea from others at schools with a similar curve.

But I will find out within a week or so anyway,  hoping for the best.  I'll let you guys know how it goes!!

thanks again!!