Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do Grade Mistakes Happen?  (Read 1877 times)

amityjo

• View Profile
Re: Do Grade Mistakes Happen?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »
Does anyone have knowledge of a situation where the professor actually made a mistake in how they calculated or reported a student's grade?  If so, what happened afterwards?

I'm the last person to suspect such a thing but I honestly think this might have happened to me for one exam grade.  At this point, I am afraid to suggest or pursue it, since it naturally sounds like sour grapes and could do more harm than good in the long run.

YES - grade mistakes happen. In my first year I had two incorrect grades. For the first one, the registrar incorrectly input the grades for an entire class (and mine went down, unfortunately, but not by a lot.) The second one, was just an error of transcribing on the Professor's part, and my grade went up. Ever since the first semester, I've checked every one of my tests just to make sure I got the right grade.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 03:03:03 PM »
Definitely review your exams!  My Torts professor entirely skipped one of my answers.  On every question he had marked a point value with a red pen, but on one page he made no marks at all.  I explained this to our Dean of Academic Affairs and she had the professor review my exam.  (At my school, we're not supposed to contact our professors if we have a question about grading, so I went straight to the dean.)  A few days later, I checked my grades again -- and my grade had gone up two steps.  Thank goodness I looked at my exam, because my grade had been just at a spot on the curve where a few additional points made a world of difference!

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 09:24:56 PM »
Wow - one would think that with so much on the line, that grades would be checked and re-checked....especially since they take so long to come out!

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
Wow - one would think that with so much on the line, that grades would be checked and re-checked....especially since they take so long to come out!

one would bloody well think.  i may finally get mine on tuesday.   :P

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 11:01:50 PM »

one would bloody well think.  i may finally get mine on tuesday.   :P

I thought we were the only folks waiting until Tuesday!  What a pain!

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 10:07:42 PM »
Definitely check! I've had mistakes happen and it changed my grade for the better (made the difference in me booking the class or not, too)
That same prof said she is surprised that more students dont check because that stuff DOES happen, more often than we would like. I've never had a professor look at me sideways for wanting to review exams (even for that very purpose..many suggest it)
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality