Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For those who transferred mid-T1 to Top 10....  (Read 1599 times)

tmrlaw

• View Profile
For those who transferred mid-T1 to Top 10....
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »
Was the work way harder?  Did you make journal?  Did your grades dip?  And what were your pre-law stats?

Mine:LSAT 173, UGPA 3.88 (Philosophy)

worried i'll flounder at a harder school

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: For those who transferred mid-T1 to Top 10....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »
with a 173 and a 3.88, how did you not end up at at T-14 to begin with?

And I didn't transfer, but to answer part of your question, none of the people I know who transfered up from my school made it onto LR, and 1 person who transferred to my school wrote on.

tmrlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 01:32:29 PM »
By applying to one and only one school, the one near my husband and three small children. I am in my late twenties and a stay-at-home mom since college. 

I've not yet matriculated, (uh, haven't actually been accepted yet but I'm assuming I will be), and I want to know what my transfer options will be.  For some crazy logistical reasons we MUST stay in this area for the '07-08 academic year, and I don't think waiting an extra year to attend will pay off. 

Also, didn't plan well, took Dec LSAT, really couldn't pull together lots of apps last minute anyway.  Although it's moot since I'm geographically bound for now.

wardwilliams

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:47:34 PM »
By applying to one and only one school, the one near my husband and three small children. I am in my late twenties and a stay-at-home mom since college. 

I've not yet matriculated, (uh, haven't actually been accepted yet but I'm assuming I will be), and I want to know what my transfer options will be.  For some crazy logistical reasons we MUST stay in this area for the '07-08 academic year, and I don't think waiting an extra year to attend will pay off. 

Also, didn't plan well, took Dec LSAT, really couldn't pull together lots of apps last minute anyway.  Although it's moot since I'm geographically bound for now.

If I were you I would wait the extra year to attend the top 10 school.  With your numbers you will defintely get in.  However if you go to the non-top 10 there is certainly no guarantee you can transfer to top 10; in fact, there is probably a better than even chance that you will not be able to.  You'd probably need to get real good 1L grades to transfer into top 10, and high LSAT score obviously guarantees you nothing when it comes to 1L grades.  So, if your goal is to go to a top 10 school, you should take the guaranteed way in and wait a year until you are able to move to the area and attend as a 1L.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:51:58 PM »
I'd actually wait a year.  By going to a school you really don't want to go to simply because you're tied to the area for one more year, you're putting yourself in a tough position.  You may be able to transfer you; you may not.  Grades are the big unknown, and while we all start out hoping for the best, there's a ton of disappointed law students out there.

You'd have to do really well to move up to a T-14 school.  If I were in a similar position, with your numbers, I'd wait a year, get in on the numbers I had, and not have to worry all through 1L whether my grades would be good enough to get me into a school I really wanted to go to.

And, since it should be said, T-14 schools are not "harder" than lower ranked schools.

tmrlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 02:02:17 PM »
Well, but it is presumably harder to do as well on a curve, right?  Even if the exams arent' more difficult, you're being measured against a different population of students.

Does everyone else agree with this advice?

wardwilliams

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
Just remember that the level of competition increases as the rank of the school decreases.  So, as a rule, the students at a school ranked 50 are going to be more cutthroat than the students at a top 10 school.  As far as the curve, you are right that it is probably easier to get higher grades (relatively speaking) as the rank of the school goes up because the curve is going to be higher, but that has nothing really to do with your chances of transferring from a top 50 school to a top 10 school.  With your numbers, you should take the "easy" way in to the top 10 school instead of having to spend your entire first year making sure you are in the top 10% or so of your class in the top 50 school just so you can ensure a transfer.  No matter how smart you are, only 1 of 10 makes the top 10%

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 05:51:49 PM »
Well, but it is presumably harder to do as well on a curve, right?  Even if the exams arent' more difficult, you're being measured against a different population of students.

Does everyone else agree with this advice?

Transfer students typically do as well or better at the new school.  I totally didn't believe this until my grades came in -- shockingly, it's true.  If you can get consistent As at a T1 (or a T2, or a T3, or a T4), you can probably get them at Harvard, Yale, or anywhere else. That said, it's hard to tell whether you'll do really well at the first school.  I recommend waiting a year unless you're utterly desperate to get started right away.  Transferring is quite difficult and it's much harder to make law review even with identical credentials.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

tmrlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:27:36 PM »
Even if transferring is hard, if you don't get in is it possible to apply as a 1L and matriculate without advanced standing, ie, as a 1L? 

I'm not asking if this is advisable, just if it is possible.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »
i don't know if it's possible, but i think it would be very hard. i do know that the law schools i applied to were very interested in whether i had previously matriculated at any other law school. i suspect that if the answer had been "yes", it would have raised a red flag. i doubt that schools have an outright ban on accepting such students, but they'd probably demand a good explanation, and "i thought my chances with an application de novo would be better than applying to transfer" is not good. remember that the transfer game is a money-maker for top schools.
case '09