Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else have a 'no laptop' policy for any of their classes?  (Read 1501 times)

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone else have a 'no laptop' policy for any of their classes?
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
we do for crim, and it sucks big time.

i know that a lot of students surf or im or just screw around on facebook during class, and now that they have to pay attention, it will mess with the curve.   :P

seriously, it is messing with my entire first semester note-taking/outline plan.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone else have a 'no laptop' policy for any of their classes?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:19:48 PM »
I did last semester in torts, it ended up being my highest grade.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »
Not me...which is good, since they seem quite patronizing.

moonchigger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 09:20:59 PM »
In our property class if you are called on, have your laptop open, and ask for the question to be repeated you loose your laptop "privileges" for two weeks.

UHLAW09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:50:41 PM »
A couple of our teachers do it. It seems wrong since they REQUIRE us to buy the damn laptop. I think if you want to male private part around on the internet that's your problem. It's law school, if someone doesnt want to pay attention in class, it's their problem

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »
We don't, but it's coming.  A few of my professors who aren't tenured yet have suggested that if/when they get tenure, they're going to have such a policy.

I think if I ever did have this sort of policy, I'd take notes from the reading in my laptop like I normally would, print them out, and bring them to class and take notes in the margins whenever possible, and then just incorporate my class notes into my reading notes later.

ksully

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »
I think these policies are lame. The best professors in my school make class interesting enough (by calling on people and not droning on) that you don't have time to surf the net.

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
this same prof also said that she was considering making everyone write their exam rather than type.   :P

O.B. Wan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 01:10:59 PM »
Get over it.  They shouldn't be allowed in class anyway.  Everyone in my section that uses one just transcribe every single thing that is said in class.  Like one of my prof's said, if that's what you want to do, you need to be a court reporter and not a lawyer.

I think it is beneficial not to have one personally.  Taking notes on paper, then transfering to my laptop involves a bit of thinking of the material in the process;

But whatever floats your boat.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 01:51:52 PM »
My torts prof had this policy, and I actually thought it contributed to better class discussion.  I missed it when certain questions came up and I couldn't look them up on the internet.  All in all, I don't think it was a big deal not to have it.