Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help Figuring Out Class Rank  (Read 1657 times)

worried

• View Profile
Help Figuring Out Class Rank
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:06:39 PM »
I know everyone is sick of seeing posts about grades, but since our registrar moves about as quickly as my deceased grandmother I thought I would ask my query here.  Our school for 1Ls has a median between a 2.7 and 2.9.  Our profs tell us that they aim for a median of 2.8.  I found a very similar median for Saint Louis University at this site:  http://law.slu.edu/registrar/2ndyrrank.html
Do you think this represents a normal distribution and can I expect my class to be distributed rather similarly (meaning to 10% around the same g.p.a.)?

worried

• View Profile
Re: Help Figuring Out Class Rank
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
BUMP....anyone?

I realize that a response was given in the 'General Board' but it did not take into account the website I listed.

roygbiv

• View Profile
Re: Help Figuring Out Class Rank
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:17:38 AM »
No you cannot expect your distribution to be the same. The thread that I posted in your other post which asked the exact same question summed this up for. Every school does it differently and because of the less than precise nature of law school grading, it won't even be the same at the same school. The best thing you can do is to try and find one of your school's previous distributions or try to back into it by building a statistical model in excel but neither will be precise.

I know everyone is sick of seeing posts about grades, but since our registrar moves about as quickly as my deceased grandmother I thought I would ask my query here.  Our school for 1Ls has a median between a 2.7 and 2.9.  Our profs tell us that they aim for a median of 2.8.  I found a very similar median for Saint Louis University at this site:  http://law.slu.edu/registrar/2ndyrrank.html
Do you think this represents a normal distribution and can I expect my class to be distributed rather similarly (meaning to 10% around the same g.p.a.)?