Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone Good With Statistics?  (Read 623 times)

worried

• View Profile
Anyone Good With Statistics?
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »
I know everyone is sick of seeing posts about grades, but since our registrar moves about as quickly as my deceased grandmother I thought I would ask my query here.  Our school for 1Ls has a median between a 2.7 and 2.9.  Our profs tell us that they aim for a median of 2.8.  I found a very similar median for Saint Louis University at this site:  http://law.slu.edu/registrar/2ndyrrank.html
Do you think this represents a normal distribution and can I expect my class to be distributed rather similarly (meaning to 10% around the same g.p.a.)?

roygbiv

• View Profile

Wheres the Money, Noreen

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Good With Statistics?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:06:08 AM »
Don't even try to compare anything with SLU -- it sucks big time.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »
Don't even try to compare anything with SLU -- it sucks big time.
You have to ask your school that is an impossible question to answer without more information.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

vaplaugh

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 08:47:21 PM »
have you looked up your school on the nalp site?  they list grades required to get top 10%/33%/50% for graduating students (which will not correlate exactly to 1L, but should give you an idea).

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »
They definitely won't correlate to 1L grades because most schools do not use the same curve for 2L and 3L. Thus, 2L / 3L grades are inflated compared to 1L grades at most schools. That's why students who didn't do great 1L year can "catch up" and get a respectable GPA on graduation.

To the OP, you'll have to wait.

have you looked up your school on the nalp site?  they list grades required to get top 10%/33%/50% for graduating students (which will not correlate exactly to 1L, but should give you an idea).