Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will Law Review Boost My Transfer Options\Chances?  (Read 2500 times)

eriku116

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will Law Review Boost My Transfer Options\Chances?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 02:30:26 PM »
Thanks for a view from the other side of the argument. This option IS available to me next semester if I choose to remain here. My grades are fine ( I DID book legal writing, so...), I'm in the top 10%, looking to reach up, not a lateral transfer. Though I haven't spoken about this to a transfer advisor, everyone seems to take law review as a big accomplishment. But, the time factor is clearly what is being weighed here-

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:22:37 PM »
Thanks for a view from the other side of the argument. This option IS available to me next semester if I choose to remain here. My grades are fine ( I DID book legal writing, so...), I'm in the top 10%, looking to reach up, not a lateral transfer. Though I haven't spoken about this to a transfer advisor, everyone seems to take law review as a big accomplishment. But, the time factor is clearly what is being weighed here-

With the law review option as a 2L and a top 10% class rank available to you in your absolute worst case scenario, you will still have a competitive edge over most of your peers at your current school in terms of job opportunities.

On the other hand, I really can't see any benefit in beginning law review early if you're looking to jump from a T4 to a mid to low T1. Sure it might help you in your 1L summer job search. However, schools aren't really looking for 1L law review credentials when assessing transfer students, and you'll have to write on at your new school regardless. If joining law review causes you to even see 1/2 a letter grade reduction in any one of your classes, to me it's not worth it. And provided you're not looking to jump from a T4 to a T14, it seems like doing all that extra work will be for nothing.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 09:43:21 PM »
Personally I would do Law Review because it still does go on your transcript to future employers so they can see that you had the chops to make law review (I booked Legal Writing but that didnt give me a spot on a journal, so if you were to look at both of our resumes side by side, yours would look more impressive simply because you had the law review on it in addition to booking legal writing)
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality