Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will Law Review Boost My Transfer Options\Chances?  (Read 2494 times)

eriku116

• View Profile
    • Email
Will Law Review Boost My Transfer Options\Chances?
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:16:40 PM »
I was offerred a spot on the law review at my school for booking legal writing class as 1L, but I want to transfer out of the school by next year. Will the addition of law review on my apps be significant enough to be worthwhile, or is it just extra work I should dedicate to maintaining my GPA?
 Thanks for the advice,

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: Will Law Review Boost My Transfer Options\Chances?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:37:58 PM »
Do law review.

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »
it couldn't hurt. do it.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 06:03:39 PM »
So you've already been offered admission to law review and you're a second-semester 1L?  I have never heard of that, but good for you.  You should definitely do it, especially since you want to transfer.  As far as time spent on law review, you're in a position to do just as much as is necessary to not get kicked off.

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 06:04:11 PM »
As far as time spent on law review, you're in a position to do just as much as is necessary to not get kicked off.

haha, credited.

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 08:23:45 PM »
So you've already been offered admission to law review and you're a second-semester 1L?  I have never heard of that, but good for you.  You should definitely do it, especially since you want to transfer.  As far as time spent on law review, you're in a position to do just as much as is necessary to not get kicked off.

me neither.  i was 2/148 in legal writing first semester, and they didnt offer me anything more than the opportunity to write on in the spring like everybody else.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »
My school (Florida State) offers you a spot an 3 different journals if you are # 1 or 2 in a legal writing section. But no law review. Different things for different schools.

What school do you go to Eriku? (and you can say - its not like we know who you are if you say)

me neither.  i was 2/148 in legal writing first semester, and they didnt offer me anything more than the opportunity to write on in the spring like everybody else.

eriku116

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »
Won't say what school, I'd rather stay anonymous since i'd like to transfer... But, I will say we have two law review journals, and only one (our international review) gives such an opportunity.

I haven't heard anyone consider option B, to maintain my grades and forget about law review. I guess that is a pretty stupid decision. Actually, it seems like I'm the only person I know who wants to think about this before I leap. Thanks for all of your advice. I've made my decision.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »
Yeah, adcomms for transferring schools troll this site all the time trying to match up an anonymous poster and the hundreds of applications they get a year. So you better watch out.  ;) (not really, but you never know right?)

Good luck. 

Won't say what school, I'd rather stay anonymous since i'd like to transfer... But, I will say we have two law review journals, and only one (our international review) gives such an opportunity.

I haven't heard anyone consider option B, to maintain my grades and forget about law review. I guess that is a pretty stupid decision. Actually, it seems like I'm the only person I know who wants to think about this before I leap. Thanks for all of your advice. I've made my decision.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:41:41 PM »

What is your class rank/GPA at this point and how big of a jump are you looking to make? Are you applying to any "safety" transfer schools, or are you just shooting for one reach school? Also, if you choose not to do law review this semester, will that option be available to you after the semester?

I was hellbent on transferring anywhere closer to home, even if it meant going from a T4 to another T4. I knew I had the grades to make a lateral transfer, so I didn't join any clubs or take part in any extracurricular activities at my old school so that I could focus on classes alone. It paid off as I improved 2nd semester and got into my reach school.

I'm the minority here...but I think that if you have the grades to put you in the ballpark for your any of your transfer schools, that you should forgo law review and focus on your studies. However if things are much more iffy, and the odds of you coming back to your current school are greater than your odds of transferring out, then you should do law review. From everything I've heard, law review is very time consuming, and the extra time you'll spend focusing on that might negatively impact your ability to build upon your GPA.

Ultimately, if you're a top legal writing student, you should be able to write onto your law review if things don't work out. In the end, your grades matter the most when you're looking to transfer. Just my $.02