Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I drop out?  (Read 2965 times)

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I drop out?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 09:41:55 PM »
because of my background, i'm looking at government employers regardless.  i mean, a gs-12 starts around 75K i believe.  the hours are reasonable, the benefits are great, and once you get into the civil service system, you cant be dislodged with nuclear weapons

Do they start you at GS12 though?   I thought you started at 11 tops. 

i'm almost certain you start at a 12.  however, i definitely could be wrong....

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 09:58:30 PM »
because of my background, i'm looking at government employers regardless.  i mean, a gs-12 starts around 75K i believe.  the hours are reasonable, the benefits are great, and once you get into the civil service system, you cant be dislodged with nuclear weapons

I read most of that federal government pamphlet on the ABA site and some other sites as well and I can't recall seeing many,  if any positions that started out at GS-12. I looked at one position that started you out at GS-11 and moved you up to GS-12 once you pass the bar exam, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 09:59:42 PM »

I read most of that federal government pamphlet on the ABA site and some other sites as well and I can't recall seeing many,  if any positions that started out at GS-12. I looked at one position that started you out at GS-11 and moved you up to GS-12 once you pass the bar exam, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

yep, thats it

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 10:04:22 PM »
All you have to do is pass the bar?  For most government positions you can only get a grade increase after a year.  But I will agree- it's a great deal- 75K, 40 hours a week, lots of vacation, and when you work more than 40 hours a week you get comp time- so if you put in 4 50 hour weeks you get an extra week of vacation- awesome!

correguachin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 10:07:09 PM »
What about Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd?

They started out as GLG-20s?

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 10:22:23 PM »
All you have to do is pass the bar?  For most government positions you can only get a grade increase after a year.  But I will agree- it's a great deal- 75K, 40 hours a week, lots of vacation, and when you work more than 40 hours a week you get comp time- so if you put in 4 50 hour weeks you get an extra week of vacation- awesome!

Yeah and the rest of us pay for you!

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 10:38:15 PM »
I will soldier on to Property II, and not complain.

You can only look ahead and things have happened. There is no percentage from stewing over a result that is fixed. You move on, otherwise it will overwhelm you.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 08:20:36 AM »
The government will generally start lawyers at GS-11 but advance you each year.  I still cannot imagine going through law school hell only to work for the government.

I'm a GS-12 now and that is with a Bachelor's degree.  I can easily get to GS-13 without my law degree.

It kind of makes me wonder sometimes if law school is really worth the hell that it is.

amityjo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 07:10:36 PM »
You will be able to get a good job. I have a friend who is a 3L, has been on academic probation at a 3T school since the end of his first year (just barely hangs on to a 2.0 each semester) and already has a decent job lined up for after graduation starting at $75K per year, simply because he networked like a mad man. The way I see it, if HE is employable, then both you (doing ok at a tier one) and I (doing better than ok at a tier 2) certainly are.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »
i think you should stick it out and try to get better grades this semester