Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I drop out?  (Read 3002 times)

Bored 3L

• View Profile
Re: Should I drop out?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »
You're sooo right...he should just drop out. ::)

Sorry you're bitter with your experience. Not everyone else should be.

I think that perhaps he should drop out.  But really he should look at his situation, his potential earning potential, etc.

And I"m not bitter at all.  I did very well in law school, passed the bar, and now work in biglaw.  Going to law school was a good choice for me, and financially it's been great -- no other way could I be making as much money at my age (maybe a few other ways, admittedly, but not many).  I'm just trying to be realistic.  People should realize that not everyone in their class will get good jobs and their debt isn't going away.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 07:20:48 AM »
You may not be bitter, 3L, but you're certainly short-sighted.

Working Biglaw is not what most law school graduates end up doing.  Many don't even want it.  Sure, it's a great paycheck, but many find absolutely no job satisfaction.

Let's be honest with what you're saying here:  "You can't go the route I did, so you should just drop out now."

Get a life.

To the OP:  Do you enjoy law school?  Do you have any experience actually working in a legal job?  As Buds suggested, find out if you would like to be an attorney.  Next, you need to start networking ASAP.  Go to bar events, do anything you can to start meeting attorneys in the location/practice area you want to work with.  While networking may not get you a BigLaw summer associateship, you'll be much more likely to get a job you like even with not so great grades.

I really liked "Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams."  It has a ton of helpful advice for finding a job for any law student.

Bored 3L

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
You may not be bitter, 3L, but you're certainly short-sighted.

Working Biglaw is not what most law school graduates end up doing.  Many don't even want it.  Sure, it's a great paycheck, but many find absolutely no job satisfaction.

Let's be honest with what you're saying here:  "You can't go the route I did, so you should just drop out now."

Get a life.

To the OP:  Do you enjoy law school?  Do you have any experience actually working in a legal job?  As Buds suggested, find out if you would like to be an attorney.  Next, you need to start networking ASAP.  Go to bar events, do anything you can to start meeting attorneys in the location/practice area you want to work with.  While networking may not get you a BigLaw summer associateship, you'll be much more likely to get a job you like even with not so great grades.

I really liked "Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams."  It has a ton of helpful advice for finding a job for any law student.

Read my very first post.  I said I would drop out if his grades didn't improve UNLESS he was sure that he would enjoy practicing law.  Lots of law students like the idea of practicing law, but don't really know what the practice of law is like on a day-to-day basis.

I know that biglaw isn't for everyone and I don't think I'll stay for long.  But I have lots of friends who took out huge amounts of debt, can't find great jobs and are miserable b/c their quality of life is poor and they don't particularly enjoy being lawyers.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »
The sometimes pervasive mentality that, if you don't do X, you should not even be going to lawschool, is just plain wrong. If you don't get into a school ranked 36th or better, if you are not Top 29% or better, quit now you have no chance at ever getting a job or ever being sucessful. I know some people aren't like this, but its around.

I would bust your as* this semester and try to bring the grades up. If you still are in the bottom 25% then you will just need to realistically talk to career services about what kind of jobs are avaiable to people in the Top 75%. Look at the glass half full.

I think the overall message is that people who want it bad enough don't quit no matter what. Get serious about looking at government employers, and you mnay have to live very tight to make the loan payments intially.

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 02:49:06 PM »
because of my background, i'm looking at government employers regardless.  i mean, a gs-12 starts around 75K i believe.  the hours are reasonable, the benefits are great, and once you get into the civil service system, you cant be dislodged with nuclear weapons

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 08:10:15 PM »
I got a C- in Property I. My first final law school grade. At first I was dispirited, but then I remembered how much of first is still left to be determined.

Seriously, if you drop out on your own volition after just one semester because of grades, you're a puss.y. End of story. What will do in life when times get hard? Drop out of life, too?

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »
Property treated me poorly relatively speaking, the problem being that my Torts and Contracts are only 2 hours this semester and property is still 3. I haven't asked for the rationale behind this, but I better get to liking property studying harder.

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 08:37:16 PM »
because of my background, i'm looking at government employers regardless.  i mean, a gs-12 starts around 75K i believe.  the hours are reasonable, the benefits are great, and once you get into the civil service system, you cant be dislodged with nuclear weapons

Do they start you at GS12 though?   I thought you started at 11 tops. 

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:19:13 PM »
If you don't want to be a lawyer, drop out now. It's cheaper.

If you do want to be a lawyer, be proactive. Talk to your professors about grades. Figure out what you did not do well, and work on improving. Look at what resources are available at your school to help you.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 09:32:59 PM »
This isn't related to grades, but being proactive in your job search.

Whenever people complain that career services suck and that they are no help at all I ask then to name one person that works in the CSO, and they can't. The point is that you have to do all the hard work, and alot of people don't bother, so you can get a jump on them that way.