Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Drinking and 2L SA's  (Read 14140 times)

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking and 2L SA's
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
You know, that's something that I'm concerned about. I'm probably just paranoid, but I don't want to give the impression that I'm just getting out of rehab. I don't have a problem with drinking, ethically or personally; I just can't do it.

If they make a big deal about it just tell them that you're a recovering alcoholic. That'll shut 'em up.

I've heard that drinking is a big part of the summer experience, but I don't drink. Will anybody notice if I order my coke without rum? I don't want to appear stuffy, but I really can't drink. Is there a diplomatic way to handle it, or is unlikely that anybody will care?

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 10:47:05 PM »
I had a medical problem during OCI, and I couldn't drink coffee, or anything with caffeine. One of the interviewers got really offended when I didn't drink a cup and demanded an explanation.

gah, what an idiot.  i'd really have to be like 'its none of your damn business'

wouldnt be the first time i walked out of an interview  :D

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 11:16:05 PM »
His exact words to me were, "What's your problem? You're not Mormon, are you?" Yay, flagrant violations of federal law. He reminded me of Denny Crane.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 01:57:43 AM »
Not drinking can be a social handicap but it becomes less of a big deal the older you get. While no one may notice what you're drinking, don't try to "pretend" you're drinking and don't say, "I'm not drinking right now" if you don't drink. There's no reason to lie. If it comes up, just say, "I don't drink." If someone asks you why, tell them whatever you feel comfortable with but remember, that person is a moron for asking. Most people are aware that is none of their business.

Don't feel obliged to hang around any longer than necessary when people are out drinking. Take off if it becomes lame. If you aren't having fun, it will be obvious anyways. Try to find something else you can do with the other SA's that doesn't involve drinking. For me, it's golf but any other physical activity you can do with a group will work.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »
I agree with wakaranai. I've tried to quietly abstain from drinking before, but it seems to make my friends/companions uncomfortable - they ask questions, want to know why I'm so up-tight, etc. With friends, I just explain what's up, but I don't want to get personal with potential coworkers. I had a medical problem during OCI, and I couldn't drink coffee, or anything with caffeine. One of the interviewers got really offended when I didn't drink a cup and demanded an explanation. I want to avoid that if possible this summer. I like Jacy's suggestion about making my coke look like a mixed drink. I was also thinking about ordering a drink and just holding it. Think anyone will notice?

I think ordering a drink and just holding it would be fine too.  And if I were in a similar situation, and someone gives you a hard time, just say that you're not a big drinker and change the topic of conversation.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »
Your advice could apply to the OP but should not be followed by people that have had issues. I only mention this b/c I suspect a lot of people w/ substance abuse problems will view this thread.

Ordering a drink and just holding it may be fine for those who simply choose not to drink but it is not fine for people who have had a substance abuse problem. It is a solution motivated entirely by fear. Actions motivated by fear are to be avoided by people with past substance abuse problems as a general although not absolute rule (sometimes fear is a good thing but usually not). The reasons for avoiding actions motivated by fear is because, as a general rule for most people with past substance abuse problems, this is how they used to live their lives and is part of the reason why they began abusing substances and part of the reason why they were able to maintain their abuse (there are also a number of other reasons in varying degrees depending on the person).

Besides, even for the OP, if you just order a drink and hold it, and then people find out you actually don't drink, then what happens? Like I said, don't lie about it, just tell people what you feel comfortable with and don't dwell on it.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 05:11:28 PM »
be the designated driver. problem solved
Attending: OU

Bored 3L

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 11:24:46 PM »
be the designated driver. problem solved

Well, the firm is going to be getting cabs, so that wouldn't really work.

Either just don't drink and be cool about it, or if you prefer, order a diet coke and just sip it -- no one will ask if your drink has alocohol in it.

lawyagrl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »
One of the attorneys at our firm always had a drink and she had the opposite problem.  When she was pregnant, but before she let anyone know, she would order a beer and dump parts of it out so that no one noticed that she wasn't drinking.

In my opinion, it is better to be upfron with people and anyone that gets too inquisitive about it is being a jerk.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 08:46:53 PM »
definitely dont order drinks if you arent going to drink them.... i am so ashamed that my fellow law students would suggest abusing alcohol that way :)

have some self confidence and be yourself and dont be embarrassed by not drinking.  If they ask, tell them you dont drink but its for personal reasons.