Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Drinking and 2L SA's  (Read 14182 times)

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Drinking and 2L SA's
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »
I've heard that drinking is a big part of the summer experience, but I don't drink. Will anybody notice if I order my coke without rum? I don't want to appear stuffy, but I really can't drink. Is there a diplomatic way to handle it, or is unlikely that anybody will care?

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking and 2L SA's
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »
Yes, a lot of the job and socializing, and drinking is part of socializing for many people.  But no one will care if you politely abstain.  Just don't come across as judgmental or self-righteous (I had someone in my summer class that was like that and she made people very uncomfortable). 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
I don't think its a problem.  As Lenny said, just don't make a big deal out of it one way or another.

If you do happen to feel uncomfortable, just ask for the coke in the same glass as the mixed drinks are served in, and ask for a lime on the rim.  No one will know the difference.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:33:50 PM »
but I really can't drink.

Liar.  Live a little.
pudding is delightful

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 07:38:33 PM »
I don't think its a problem.  As Lenny said, just don't make a big deal out of it one way or another.

If you do happen to feel uncomfortable, just ask for the coke in the same glass as the mixed drinks are served in, and ask for a lime on the rim.  No one will know the difference.

I totally agree. It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

If you are in a group ordering situation and someone says "You aren't drinking?" I would say "I don't feel like it right now" and move on, not give a philosophical or medical explanation.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:28:03 PM »

I totally agree. It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

If you are in a group ordering situation and someone says "You aren't drinking?" I would say "I don't feel like it right now" and move on, not give a philosophical or medical explanation.

As nice as that sounds, you'd be surprised at how curious people often get about it. Usually it's just "Have a sip," or "You don't need to drink that much," so people who really can't drink anything have to explain why. People are usually fine with it after I explain, but in a larger workplace it can take a while for people to identify you as someone who can't/doesn't drink.

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »
i plan to simply say no thanks, and leave it at that. 

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
If they make a big deal about it just tell them that you're a recovering alcoholic. That'll shut 'em up.

I've heard that drinking is a big part of the summer experience, but I don't drink. Will anybody notice if I order my coke without rum? I don't want to appear stuffy, but I really can't drink. Is there a diplomatic way to handle it, or is unlikely that anybody will care?

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:23:21 PM »
If they make a big deal about it just tell them that you're a recovering alcoholic. That'll shut 'em up.

tell them you're muslim, mormon, or a member of the revolutionary communist party. that'll help you fit in.
case '09

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 10:24:52 PM »
I agree with wakaranai. I've tried to quietly abstain from drinking before, but it seems to make my friends/companions uncomfortable - they ask questions, want to know why I'm so up-tight, etc. With friends, I just explain what's up, but I don't want to get personal with potential coworkers. I had a medical problem during OCI, and I couldn't drink coffee, or anything with caffeine. One of the interviewers got really offended when I didn't drink a cup and demanded an explanation. I want to avoid that if possible this summer. I like Jacy's suggestion about making my coke look like a mixed drink. I was also thinking about ordering a drink and just holding it. Think anyone will notice?