Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Frustration in Finding Summer Job  (Read 864 times)

marsh28

• View Profile
    • Email
Frustration in Finding Summer Job
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:08:44 PM »
I had a pretty average first semester (2.78 school is on a 2.7 curve) but since have had two really good semesters and I am close to being in the top fifteen percent of my class with one fall grade still pending.  The problem is that when I applied to the Big Firms this fall, I was only in the top third of my class and on Law Review.  Since then, I have been lucky enough to have my law review Candidacy paper chosen to be published and, as mentioned earlier, my grades have continued to improve.  Is it absolutely too late to get a job with any big firms?  I know that they all have their fall interviews and although I got a couple, I didn't get any jobs.  Will I just have to be satisfied with a mid-size firm summer-job?

Texas88

• View Profile
Re: Frustration in Finding Summer Job
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:43:45 PM »
If you had an especially good fall semester, maybe firms will feel differently about you. They're still reviewing 1Ls; it can't hurt to send out a few more resumes.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »
The problem is that when I applied to the Big Firms this fall, I was only in the top third of my class and on Law Review. 

You say "only in the top third" and "on Law Review" as if these achievements are nothing.  Well, I happen to think they are something, especially since my credentials are the same.  I think it's so sad that an academic venture like law school can cause people to think that being in the top third of the class is not good enough.  I tell you, the more I'm in law school, the more I detest the disgusting snobbery.

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 11:27:46 PM »
Depends on what school you're in.  If you're at a TTT, then I'm afraid the 2L biglaw ship has probably set sail without you.  Most if not all biglaw firms have filled their summer classes.  Its likely they won't consider you over some decent 1L student from a t14. 

Try for after graduation though.  But even for after graduation, if you're at a ttt or t2, I'd say you still need to be at least top 15% to be considered for biglaw.

marsh28

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:42:16 AM »
I'm not a snob.  I'm only at a Tier III school and thus I need REALLY good grades to get the better job.  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I'm just frustrated that if I interviewed for a lot of those big law jobs NOW I would have probably gotten more interviews and maybe even an offer.  Oh well...

RenaldoBalkman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »
I'm not a snob.  I'm only at a Tier III school and thus I need REALLY good grades to get the better job.  I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I'm just frustrated that if I interviewed for a lot of those big law jobs NOW I would have probably gotten more interviews and maybe even an offer.  Oh well...

Maybe more interviews but probably no offer.  I hate to say it but your T3 status is very hurtful for biglaw.  Even with law review you'd still need to be at least top 15%.  Your GPA, while greatly improved, still falls below the biglaw threshold given the TTT'ness of your degree.