Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will transferring make a huge difference?  (Read 884 times)

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Will transferring make a huge difference?
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:04:18 PM »
I am currently a 1L on scholarship at a T3 law school in the Midwest with a very good local reputation but not much a of a national one. We moved to this area for my husband's residency. He has accepted fellowship here, and we will both finish our programs in 2009. Whether we stay here is up in the air, but it's likely we wouldn't settle here permanently since we have no family or close friends in the area. It is likely that we'd move back to the East Coast, possibly Boston.

I am trying to decide if I should attempt a transfer to the very good T1 school in my area (not sure of the rank but it's top ten I believe). So far I have three of four grades back and they are all As, including the highest score in my section in Civ Pro. I'm sort of shocked that I did so well, and now I am considering a transfer, even though I talked myself out of applying to the T1 school originally because a)my LSAT was a little low for them and b)it's an hour from my house and I have a young child and don't want to spend so much time commuting. It seems that I might have a good shot at getting a transfer spot, assuming I do as well next semester.

My real question after my very long-winded introduction to the situation, is how much of a difference the school really makes in the long run. I have no aspirations to practice in a big firm, I'm more inclined toward public interest or government since I already have one child and would like another in the future. The T1 school has a national reputation but is also three times the cost and a lot further away. At my current school, I will likely grade onto Law Review and will have the scholarship to defray a lot of the costs. I am just looking for some input on whether I am cutting off some options by staying at my current school and any advice you might have for me. Thanks in advance.

4yearPLAN

• View Profile
Re: Will transferring make a huge difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:33:50 PM »
Tag.  I'm in almost the same situation: T3 midwestern school, A- average.  I'm struggling with the same question.

Out if curiosity, if you want to share, what school do you go to?

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »
It makes a huge difference.  Plus, what do you have to lose by writing an application?  Do it.  Good luck!
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
Your school name, even for government and public interest, and especially if you are looking to leave your locality, will be very important.  However, you mentioned that money/scholarship is a big issue in your case and that you don't want BigLaw, so perhaps I'd at least be a little less gung-ho about transferring. 

That being said, when you look at the whole situation, I'd be surprised if transferring didn't turn out to be your best option.  Good luck!

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:07:40 PM »
Ditto with the government thing. It makes a big difference with clerkships to, some judges only hire clerks from certain schools. I would think in terms of "I don't want to work at a big firm so ranking doesn't matter." You never know what you'll want to do 10, 15, 20 years from now. If you want to teach, where you went to school is going to make a huge difference. My advise is to go to whatever school is going to leave with with the most opportunities when you graduate: big law, public interest, government, clerkship or otherwise.