Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra v St. John's  (Read 19929 times)

Harvey Birdman - Attorney at Law

• View Profile
Re: Hofstra v St. John's
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 08:47:15 PM »
Also a 1L at SJU.  Dave111 is on the money pretty much.  However, I went to Hofstra for a Barbri review and I thought it didnt look/feel as nice as SJU.  Maybe I didn't see everything, who knows.

And to answer the OP's question, yes SJU will match hofstras offers.  Well at least they did last cycle.

Harvey Birdman - Attorney at Law

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 08:50:38 PM »
Also, SJU is like 20 minutes or so from Hofstra...Its not so much the distance between them as much as the surrounding neighborhood.  There is a distinct difference between Jamaica and Hempstead.  For me I live in queens so it was a no brainer, but personally I like Jamaica better.

NextL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »
SJ's students seem more confident as well. Do you feel confident in your ability to land a job and practice law? What is the general confidendce level on campus.

beckett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 01:06:13 PM »
Well, St. John's students answer questions on this board rather than reading for Contracts on a Saturday afternoon...

I am a 1L, so I can say that for summer internships, I have been competitive with students from other schools. I was unable to land a federal judicial intenrship, but for other hard-to-get-into positions, I think I will have some offers. I was told by a prof at SJU who advised me on job hunting that the top 5 students at SJU could definitey get federal judicial internships, and top 25 are competitive for the internships.

If you talk to people outside NYC, and even some in NYC, and you say St Johns, many say "where is that?" I can't tell you whether you get the same response with Hofstra, but I'm guessing you do.

I recommend you do not bet on the shcools' rankings changing. Employers aren't looking at the ranks. Their perception is based on how visible the school is, the quality of the students coming out, and the amount of alumni they have at the firm. The USNEWS numbers are so fluid in T2 and T3, and every school is busting its ass to raise its numbers. Everyone's playing the game.

One important factor to consider in making a choice: what is each school's policy for KEEPING your scholarship money?

mschluba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 09:22:39 PM »
Glad to have found this, so far I've been accepted by Hofstra with a very attractive scholarship and wait-listed by St. John's and Seton Hall, denied by Fordham. At this point I'm pretty sure I will be going with Hofstra, and am pleased with what I read on this board. I'll be making the commute from Astoria, Queens - as it is I commute by mass transit to Jersey City every morning so it shouldn't be too bad driving. Looks like next year is gonna be a whopper overall ;)

allcivilrights

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »
please listen to me as a graduate of st. johns- do not go to hofstra!!!!

if the only reason you choose to go there is because you are too lazy to commute 20 minutes more, you are a loser.

st johns has a great alumni network and reputation in NYC firms.

take st johns with no money over hofstra

NYnumba5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 05:23:34 AM »
st.johns is deinitely a better choice then hofstra as 130 firms interview at st johns compared to 36 at hofstra, im not even necessarily going to st johns but thats almost 3 times as many career opportunities...also hofstra has strict guidelines for keeping scholarship, i think it is must be over a 3.25, compared with top half of the class at st. johns, but hey what the hell do i know, i'm going on all second hand knowledge here......

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 10:10:43 AM »
"trust me I'm a st. john's student...go here, not hofstra"...if that seems like a logical statement to you, then you should in fact go to st. john's. 

Anyway, Hofstra has a normal 3.0 req't for scholarships.  As for the 130 firms recruiting at st. john's and only 30 recruiting at hofstra, keep in mind that doesn't mean there are 130 big firm jobs open at st. john's and 30 at hofstra.  Rather, there are probably 30 summer assoc. jobs at both schools...all are occupied by law review students, and maybe a couple are occupied by misc. students.  Besides, shouldn't YOU be choosing the firm you work for, not the one the school decides to invite to campus?

NYnumba5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 12:53:46 AM »
i do NOT go st. johns and i said what do i really know because i have never atteneded EITHER school...i'm just going on the numbers i'm told and nalp.org shows 130 employers going to st johns and 36 going to hofstra, sounds like a big difference to me, and the scholarship hofstra sent to ME required a 3.25 gpa be kept so maybe its different for other people, and the scholarship st. johns sent me required that i remian in the top half of the class.

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
uh yea ok, the world doesn't revolve around your posts, i was also responding to the post above yours (i guess the separate paragraphs were not enough, sorry). 

As for the 130 law firms interviewing there, i just checked the website (as in THE st. john's website)...turns out they have quite a bit less than 130.  In fact it is probably not even close to half of that number.  And again, this St. John's isn't harvard, if you're not on law review or in the top of your class, you're probably not getting a job at any of those firms. 

What is more interesting however, is that Hofstra has the exact same OCI list (roughly), in name and size.  so why the 130-30 differential?  I assume it is probably make believe, and more likely than not the schools are exactly the same when it comes to OCI stuff. 

As for your scholarship gpa, i dunno, different policy when you were offered a ride?  right now i'm fairly sure the standard is 3.0.