Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is second semester like?  (Read 1329 times)

UHLAW09

• View Profile
What is second semester like?
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »
Is everyone still going ninety to nothing or do some people sort of "give up" with sub-par grades. Just curious what'll be like

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is second semester like?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:37:58 PM »
I guess I had heard that some people do end up kind of losing steam because they are so disappointed with their grades. So far no one in my section has dropped out, but we still have 2 grades out.

I know some people that might need consider packing it in because of a D or two.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
Second semester is totally different than first semester. It's spelled "s e c o n d" versus "f i r s t".

So as you can see, the two have virtually nothing in common except for the "s e m e s t e r".

Totally different ball game.

HTH

Is everyone still going ninety to nothing or do some people sort of "give up" with sub-par grades. Just curious what'll be like

GA-fan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:00:41 PM »
The gunners decide they're going to talk more in hopes that they'll impress the professor this semester into adding the "+" to their C. HTH

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:04:18 PM »
The gunners decide they're going to talk more in hopes that they'll impress the professor this semester into adding the "+" to their C. HTH

Haha.

Or they will try to convince profs to factor participation into the grade, focusing specifically on the amount of time a students mouth is open and not necessarily what comes out of it.

up_late

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 09:02:22 PM »
Some people will burn out and give up.  Some people will get cocky and rest on their laurels.  But others will study smarter and harder to pull up a mediocre first semester.  Some will get involved in extracurriculars, which may or may not affect their grades.  Some will search diligently for a 1L summer job, while others will find a job quickly and others won't bother to make summer plans until the last minute.  For all of these reasons, second semester 1L year is still intense, and (good for you or not?) grades tend to sort out differently at the end than they did 1st semester.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 12:24:08 AM »
The semester started a week ago for me and still have yet to get back a single grade.

The only thing I'm nervous about is the job search.

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:46:22 AM »
We wont have our grades until about 3 weeks in, so I am guessing that not too much will change just yet.

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »
So tough to know how to gauge oneself without getting feedback (i.e. grades) from first semester.

Still waiting on the grade from my heaviest-weighted class -- then can figure out if I'm in the right ballpark, or if I need to seriously crank it up a notch...

But I have noticed people taking it a bit easier the first couple of weeks. Everyone is a bit burnt out, so starting the engines really slowly.